• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance not being covered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HaveaQuestion22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

One parent is required to provide health insurance, and any medical expenses not reimbursed are to be paid for equally by both parents. This is on the CS agreement. The parent that is providing health insurance switched jobs and because of this, the child does not have health insurance for 3 months. Now, a medication that the child takes daily is not covered under insurance and is very expensive. The parent who normally provides insurance refused to pay for half of this medication. So they are not paying for insurance for 3 months, and refusing to pay for half of not covered medical expenses. Since it is violating the child support agreement, would it have to go to court? Is it even worth it? (probably not).

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

One parent is required to provide health insurance, and any medical expenses not reimbursed are to be paid for equally by both parents. This is on the CS agreement. The parent that is providing health insurance switched jobs and because of this, the child does not have health insurance for 3 months. Now, a medication that the child takes daily is not covered under insurance and is very expensive. The parent who normally provides insurance refused to pay for half of this medication. So they are not paying for insurance for 3 months, and refusing to pay for half of not covered medical expenses. Since it is violating the child support agreement, would it have to go to court? Is it even worth it? (probably not).
Who are you in this situation?

Antigone*

I am the "other" parent (the one who doesn't have to provide health insurance).

Sorry I didn't clarify before, I was just trying to ask a general question. Trying to remain as anonymous as possible.
You can certainly file for contempt but it won't accomplish much. Have you looked into getting Healthy Families for the child?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am the "other" parent (the one who doesn't have to provide health insurance).

Sorry I didn't clarify before, I was just trying to ask a general question. Trying to remain as anonymous as possible.
Do you have insurance available to you with which the child can be insured? If so INSURE THE CHILD! Why is the other parent refusing to pay for half of the medication?

HaveaQuestion22

Do you have insurance available to you with which the child can be insured? If so INSURE THE CHILD! Why is the other parent refusing to pay for half of the medication?
I just recently started a new job as well so do not have insurance available, otherwise I would! I am not sure exactly why they are refusing. Although they did say something along the lines of "I have done enough for {child} over the past {--} years". So I guess they feel they are no longer obligated?

Sorry for the "they". I am trying to remain anonymous in regards to who is the father and who is the mother.

LdiJ

I just recently started a new job as well so do not have insurance available, otherwise I would! I am not sure exactly why they are refusing. Although they did say something along the lines of "I have done enough for {child} over the past {--} years". So I guess they feel they are no longer obligated?

Sorry for the "they". I am trying to remain anonymous in regards to who is the father and who is the mother.
That is silly and doesn't make any difference.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Mom or dad -- I don't care. If both of you have insurance available you should both insure the child regardless of who is ordered to do so provided the insurance is at a reasonable cost for the child's portion. That makes the most sense. So when you get insurance available INSURE the child. Other parent should also insure the child as they are ordered to do so. That way child hopefully will NEVER be without insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">