• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health insurance premium payment by non US resident father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ibolt

Hi all. Very new on here :)

My ex wife lives in Utah with our one year old son and I live in the United Kingdom as a British citizen. Divorce was finalised about nine months ago.

We agreed a settlement at mediation. I am paying CS without a problem. However, ex wrote to me a few weeks ago asking for financial help towards HER bills. I was not ordered to pay any alimony as we only married for less than a year. Having politely refused any extra financial input beyond paying child support - she is now sending me child health insurance premium bills. I believe the order is for us to share premium and healthcare costs 50/50 which is standard in Utah. She is working and I believe her employer covers health premiums but I confess to being totally confused about how healthcare works in the US.

My question is this, given my financial predicament in the UK as a single full time dad to two daughters, can anyone advice what I should or could do? Ex has never previously demanded health insurance payments from me before but only started doing so after I refused to give her money on top of $700 she gets from me a month for child support.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated please.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My ex wife lives in Utah with our one year old son and I live in the United Kingdom as a British citizen. Divorce was finalised about nine months ago.

We agreed a settlement at mediation. I am paying CS without a problem. However, ex wrote to me a few weeks ago asking for financial help towards HER bills. I was not ordered to pay any alimony as we only married for less than a year. Having politely refused any extra financial input beyond paying child support - she is now sending me child health insurance premium bills. I believe the order is for us to share premium and healthcare costs 50/50 which is standard in Utah. She is working and I believe her employer covers health premiums but I confess to being totally confused about how healthcare works in the US.

My question is this, given my financial predicament in the UK as a single full time dad to two daughters, can anyone advice what I should or could do? Ex has never previously demanded health insurance payments from me before but only started doing so after I refused to give her money on top of $700 she gets from me a month for child support.

What does your divorce decree state? Please state it word for word redacting names and personal information. How much is the premium just for the child?

LdiJ

In the US most employer provided insurance comes with a cost to the employee. The employer pays a portion, but the employee pays the rest, and generally the employee pays the full amount to cover spouses and dependents. Therefore it is quite standard that your child's insurance would come with a cost...and that cost is likely several hundred dollars a month. Sometimes it is more cost effective for an employee to insure a single child privately, rather than through their employer.

If your divorce decree states that you are to share health insurance costs 50/50, and she is sending you a bill for those, then you are obligated to pay 50% of those bills, as long as those bills do not also include coverage for your ex wife.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even with the new laws in the US requiring employers to make health insurance available and affordable, by the statutory definitions it can cost an employee $700 a month or more to include their families on their insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">