• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bellac

What is the name of your state? NJ
My 2 kids are 18 & 19. I do not speak to the 19 year old, the 18 year old only speaks to me so that I will pay for his cell phone, etc. I just received notice that I may be able to emancipate them. Will I be forced to pay for college? My divorce decree does not specify. I do not have the meams to put through college. {Please help)

Ambr

http://www.njchildsupport.org

Does my support order automatically end when my child reaches age 18?
No. There is no fixed age in New Jersey when support stops. Once your child turns 18 and/or becomes financially independent, either you or the other parent must file papers with the court asking that the order be terminated or adjusted. Based on the facts, the court will decide if the child still needs a support from the parents. This is known as "emancipation." Generally, the court presumes that children under 18 need support from their parents. In some cases, support may continue through college or longer. Support may terminate automatically if your current order specifies a date, age or circumstance when support stops.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">