• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brokenheartedad

What is the name of your state? CO
I am here to ask advice on a bad situation. I recently found out I have a 2yo child; yes paternity has been established through DNA (that I now have to pay for) so off to the next step where the state decides how much I owe. Well their consideration of a fair payment is through some asinine predetermined calculation based on my gross income. How can this be a legal assumption; I mean by law I have to pay taxes so their by the assumption is flawed. But I digress the actual legal question I have is how can I go about getting my payment modified? According to the state the only way I can get this modified is to A: have a major change in pay ie: loss of job or cut in wages. Or B: have major on going medical bills. Does anybody have any legal way to get a modification? As it stands this is going to either cause me to work 50-60 hours of overtime each paycheck or my family and I will be out on the street.

Has the CS order been put into effect already and if so, did you have to produce your last 3 years of tax returns as proof of income or was it based on your financial statement?

brokenheartedad

Yes, they are taking stated income. They never even looked at my tax returns. They are charging me $959 a month. $799 in current support and $160 in back support. I can't even find out what I owe in back support. It's not on any of the paperwork that they sent me or on the garnishment order.

brokenheartedad

The mom and I haven't talked. I was told he wasn't mine and then all of a sudden I am being served in front of my wife with paternity papers. The boy is now 2 yrs old and I have never even seen him. I doubt that I can talk to her in any civil manner. Besides why would she agree to a lesser amount?? This is great for her.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
brokenheartedad said:
According to the state the only way I can get this modified is to A: have a major change in pay ie: loss of job or cut in wages.
Be aware that this is only valid if it's an involuntary loss of job or cut in wages.

Silverplum

brokenheartedad said:
What is the name of your state? CO
I am here to ask advice on a bad situation. I recently found out I have a 2yo child; yes paternity has been established through DNA (that I now have to pay for) so off to the next step where the state decides how much I owe. Well their consideration of a fair payment is through some asinine predetermined calculation based on my gross income. How can this be a legal assumption; I mean by law I have to pay taxes so their by the assumption is flawed. But I digress the actual legal question I have is how can I go about getting my payment modified? According to the state the only way I can get this modified is to A: have a major change in pay ie: loss of job or cut in wages. Or B: have major on going medical bills. Does anybody have any legal way to get a modification? As it stands this is going to either cause me to work 50-60 hours of overtime each paycheck or my family and I will be out on the street.
Did you have an attorney representing you?
Have you filed for parenting time?
Don't bother being bitter for paying for the DNA test: it brought you the serenity of knowing your son is your son. It's time for you to face facts and decide how you are going to handle this: are you gonna be whiny or are you gonna be a dad?

Here's the best of CO links for your edification. I mean it, read this stuff and it will show you what you need to know in CO for working in the family law system:

http://www.colorado-family-law.com/

https://childsupport.state.co.us/home/indexIndex.jsp

http://www.courts.state.co.us/chs/co...helpcenter.htm

http://www.courts.state.co.us/chs/co.*****domestic.html

jazzyjam

If you work a part time job or more hours then you'll be making more money and if you're making more, she can get more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">