• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help: Can the father be jailed or put on probation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fat albert

What is the name of your state? Georgia

The story: Father sits on $10,000 in the bank and doesn't pay for 7 months strait because he was "being stubborn". A levy was placed and the $4,000 owed was taken, which covers ALL the arrears (the payments are now up-to-date). Is the father likely to be jailed or put on criminal probation (at his next court hearing) for just "not paying" for those several months, even though the support is now current and no longer past due, he has repented his evil ways and is now paying on time each month..

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And how do you expect that he'll eb able to pay support if he's locked up? He's paid current. Move on.

fat albert said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

The story: Father sits on $10,000 in the bank and doesn't pay for 7 months strait because he was "being stubborn". A levy was placed and the $4,000 owed was taken, which covers ALL the arrears (the payments are now up-to-date). Is the father likely to be jailed or put on criminal probation (at his next court hearing) for just "not paying" for those several months, even though the support is now current and no longer past due, he has repented his evil ways and is now paying on time each month..
Well that would just be totally stupid to put a man in jail who is caught up on arrears and is paying current. All that would do is put him in arrears again. But then again, with the way the system works, it wouldn't suprise me at all :rolleyes:

fat albert

stealth2 said:
And how do you expect that he'll eb able to pay support if he's locked up? He's paid current. Move on.

I know that he probably won't be jailed, but could he be put on criminal probation for contempt of court for just "being stubborn" and not paying, when obviously he had the money in the bank? I guess the real question here is, will he likely be held in contempt?

fat albert

stealth2 said:
Not likely.

OK, I admit. the father in the story is me. I am just paranoid about the court system, I dont trust them. I don't want to be put on probation or anything. But the story is accurate and true, I'm paying current now

JETX

fat albert said:
I know that he probably won't be jailed, but could he be put on criminal probation for contempt of court for just "being stubborn" and not paying, when obviously he had the money in the bank? I guess the real question here is, will he likely be held in contempt?
No. 'Contempt' is used by the court to enforce a court order. In this case, since the owed support is now current, he is now in compliance and no longer in contempt. The only thing that MIGHT happen now is for the court to award sanctions (punishment) and attorney fees to the movant to compensate their costs in bringing the motion.

Silverplum

fat albert said:
OK, I admit. the father in the story is me. I am just paranoid about the court system, I dont trust them. I don't want to be put on probation or anything. But the story is accurate and true, I'm paying current now

We don't LIKE people who play games with their stories. :eek:

Why not be upfront instead sneaky? The law is the same, regardless of who is the father, who is the mother. :rolleyes:

fat albert

Silverplum said:
We don't LIKE people who play games with their stories. :eek:

Why not be upfront instead sneaky? The law is the same, regardless of who is the father, who is the mother. :rolleyes:

well i wasnt trying to be sneaky really, i just told the story as it was, sorry.

I remember hearing about some guy who got put on mega-years of supervised probation for not paying when he had the money. but he was in over $100,000 or something like that. I just dont want any headaches thats all.

So Im not going to be in any trouble when I go to court, right?

JETX

Silverplum said:
We don't LIKE people who play games with their stories.
And who the hell is 'we'??? You haven't been here long enough, or provided enough value to your posts to be a 'we'!! :eek:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Jet told you what the likely consequences are. And stop playing games with your kid - believe it or not, s/he l has needs even when you decide to be an idiot.

fat albert

stealth2 said:
Jet told you what the likely consequences are. And stop playing games with your kid - believe it or not, s/he l has needs even when you decide to be an idiot.

Yeah, ok, I know I was being stubborn, but I had my "reasons", but i realized those "reasons" were just in my own head, retaliation and anger against the mom - blah blah blah, the usual story.

Actually, I dont think the mom brought any action against me. I think it was all the states doing. They suspended my drivers lisence and served me to court to "explain why i shouldn't be held in contempt"

Bottom line is, I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to be screwed over with probation or something.

Last edited:

joyel

fat albert said:
Yeah, ok, I know I was being stubborn, but I had my "reasons", but i realized those "reasons" were just in my own head, retaliation and anger against the mom - blah blah blah, the usual story.

Actually, I dont think the mom brought any action against me. I think it was all the states doing. They suspended my drivers lisence and served me to court to "explain why i shouldn't be held in contempt"

Bottom line is, I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to be screwed over with probation or something.

Stop being so selfish. This is not the site for you to find sympathy.

fat albert

joyel said:
Stop being so selfish. This is not the site for you to find sympathy.

Actually, I don't know why you even replied to this thread, but I run a major bulletin board myself and I know a troll when i see one.

I just came to this site to get the question answered...what will happen to me on my next court date, and the conversation simply evolved into explanation and background. the reason i didn't originally state that the father was me was because i know people like you will chime in with personal attacks

we all have our downtimes, and that doesnt make us bad people

thanks to all who responded, and if any respectable individuals have anything to add, please by all means do so.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">