• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Child Support Info (Florida)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhope

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi,

I am in Florida and have been paying child support for over a year. I was never married to his mum so I am not paying alimony. My child is 5 years old.

Since the case went to child support, some things have changed. I was wondering if these things change the amount of child support I pay.

I am now married. I am about to start paying my government student loans and the amount is quite a bit (almost $400 a month). My child just started going to school, so no more child care. Before, the child wasn't going to child care as he was staying home with his grand mother.

The other reason why I ask is because the mum is threatening me that she will go to child support and ask for more as the kid is in school now. Does child support go up when the child goes to school? does it decrease?

Does being married change anything? Student loans?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi,

I am in Florida and have been paying child support for over a year. I was never married to his mum so I am not paying alimony. My child is 5 years old.

Since the case went to child support, some things have changed. I was wondering if these things change the amount of child support I pay.

I am now married. I am about to start paying my government student loans and the amount is quite a bit (almost $400 a month). My child just started going to school, so no more child care. Before, the child wasn't going to child care as he was staying home with his grand mother.

The other reason why I ask is because the mum is threatening me that she will go to child support and ask for more as the kid is in school now. Does child support go up when the child goes to school? does it decrease?

Does being married change anything? Student loans?

Thank you in advance for your help!
The fact that you have taken on more debt and gotten married will not change your support obligations. Mum also has the right to have child support revisited as well.

Proserpina

I am paying 249.81 every two weeks

Did the amount actually include child care?

If so, and kiddo no longer needs child care, you can try to have it modified based on that.

Your student loans don't matter, nor does your remarriage.

jhope

Did the amount actually include child care?

If so, and kiddo no longer needs child care, you can try to have it modified based on that.

Your student loans don't matter, nor does your remarriage.
Sorry for my ignorance but, how do I find out if it included child care? My child is going to kindergarden since the end of August. He was staying with his grandmother and mum before that.

Back when I was giving her a check every two weeks before child support, she lied to me saying that our son was staying with a babysitter which I later found out to be a big lie as he was staying with her grandmother.

Her mum is the kind of person who will not work more than "x" amount of hours because she will lose "x" benefit. I doubt she is even working full time and she keeps threatening me that she is gonna go to court to try to get more.

LillianX

Sorry for my ignorance but, how do I find out if it included child care? My child is going to kindergarden since the end of August. He was staying with his grandmother and mum before that.
This should be outlined in your court order.

jhope

I'll take a look at it...

In case it didn't include child care, can she get more money because the child is now going to school?

Thank you all for your help, really appreciate it!

Proserpina

I'll take a look at it...

In case it didn't include child care, can she get more money because the child is now going to school?

Thank you all for your help, really appreciate it!

She might, yes - but it really depends on how Florida treats the "aging" of the child.

If she does file, come back and let us know.

jhope

She might, yes - but it really depends on how Florida treats the "aging" of the child.

If she does file, come back and let us know.
Actually, that is one question I forgot to ask. As the child gets older, does it increase or decrease the child support I pay?

Thanks again!

Proserpina

Actually, that is one question I forgot to ask. As the child gets older, does it increase or decrease the child support I pay?

Thanks again!

Typically, older children do need more "stuff". Some states take the child's increasing needs into account when a modification is requested, other states don't.

I'm sure a FL resident will stop by to clarify that :)

CJane

Typically, older children do need more "stuff". Some states take the child's increasing needs into account when a modification is requested, other states don't.

I'm sure a FL resident will stop by to clarify that :)
Really? Can you give me an example, for my own edification? I can see it as a deviation in court, but didn't know it appeared in any state's guidelines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">