• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help For Claiming My Child On Taxes!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

figumd

I Live In Florida; I Am Wanting To Seek Help On Claiming My Child On Taxes. I Worked Last Year For Only A Couple Months And I Spent The Rest Of The Year Going Back To College. My Child Lives With Me, And Her Father Whom I Have Never Been Married To, Pays Child Support. How Can I Claim Her? I Am Not Aware Of The Qualifications Of Claiming Her When I Want To Go Do My Taxes. Am I Supposed To Be Working? Or Am I Supposed To Be Married..etc? I Am Not Familiar With Any Laws Pertaining To Claiming My Child. This Is My First Child, First Time Having To Come Across This Kind Of Matter. Someone Please Help! Thank You Soo Much...

Phnx02

figumd said:
I Live In Florida; I Am Wanting To Seek Help On Claiming My Child On Taxes. I Worked Last Year For Only A Couple Months And I Spent The Rest Of The Year Going Back To College. My Child Lives With Me, And Her Father Whom I Have Never Been Married To, Pays Child Support. How Can I Claim Her? I Am Not Aware Of The Qualifications Of Claiming Her When I Want To Go Do My Taxes. Am I Supposed To Be Working? Or Am I Supposed To Be Married..etc? I Am Not Familiar With Any Laws Pertaining To Claiming My Child. This Is My First Child, First Time Having To Come Across This Kind Of Matter. Someone Please Help! Thank You Soo Much...
Generally, the custodial parent gets to claim the child on taxes unless there's a court order stating otherwise. Doesn't matter if the father pays child support, CS is not tax-deductible nor do you have to claim it as income. Nor do you have to be married - or been married. You will need the child's SS# to prove she's yours. You may not have to file since you only worked a few months last year, but need to look into if you can qualify for the earned income credit if you did file. This may give you a substantial refund. You may also qualify for some type of additional credit - such as the HOPE credit - since you were a student. Go to your local library or post office to get free forms and tax booklets. Read the booklets to learn more. There's also many volunteer organizations in every city who will either help or do your taxes for free if you qualify based on (low) income. Can also do Turbo tax online.....it's free but will have to pay a fee if you file electronically. This will literally walk you thru the process line by line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">