• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP, don't know what to do anymore...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmrsplace

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Pennsylvania I am in desperate need of advice or information. The defendant in my case owes me over $12,000 and was recently sentenced to 6 months in jail for non-compliance(failure to pay). He was ordered by the judge to pay a lump sum payment of $2800 to be released or make regular payments of $167.54 for 4 months on the prison work release program. I received a letter yesterdsy informing me he was released because of prison overpopulation. He has made only one payment of $69 since he was incarcerated, and no lump sum payment. I am apalled that the original order to pay a lump sum has been retracted. Considering the amount of money he owes me, I believe there should be something I can do. The local Domestic Relations Section just isn't helping me at all. He has been in arrears the entire 8 years he's been paying support(or not paying, I should say). I can't afford a lawyer, because I am getting no financial support for the kids. Please help!!!

VeronicaGia

One of the many problems with putting people in jail for this is that there isn't enough room in jail. Another problem is that he could have simply done his six months and never paid anything and since he's in jail, there's no income to garnish.

Your only option is to file contempt again.

Your only option is to file contempt again.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I agree. And when you get to court, remind the court of the last order, they do not always look through the file and actually inform themselves of previous cases. This time, instead of asking for jail time only, ask that a $10 a day fine be imposed in addition to jail time. If he still doesn't pay support, bring action again, and include the money fined in the judgement request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">