• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help....Frustrated father needs advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jake32

What is the name of your state? California
i have written on here before and said that my ex was going to file for child support and now she has. She has contacted the District Attorney and said it might take a few months for them to reach me to gather all the information for court. My question is how long does it usually take for them to contact me? If anyone can give me an estimated guess it would help greatly. also, she will not let me see my son until then or unless i pay her myself. She wants $50 dollars a week and my son is now going to be 1 year and a month. I have absolutely no idea if this is a small/ large amount child support wise, does anybody have any input on this? I did the calculation and my son would probably only need about $100 a month. She says she came out to that total w/ her babysitting and that would be the total amount. Is baby sitting a factor when considering child support? I do not mind paying money for my son for whatever his needs are but i feel my ex is out for money and i do not get paid very well considering i am a full time student and only earn about $250 a month. Also one last question, i am a dependent of my parents can the judge in any way use my parents income to factor in the costs of child support? Thank you in advance, your input will be appreciated. Sorry its so long.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You'd need to plug in your respective incomes into a child support calculator to find out if ~ $200 is in line with guidelines for CA. I suspect it's on the low side.

Phnx02

Jake32 said:
What is the name of your state? California
i have written on here before and said that my ex was going to file for child support and now she has. She has contacted the District Attorney and said it might take a few months for them to reach me to gather all the information for court. My question is how long does it usually take for them to contact me? If anyone can give me an estimated guess it would help greatly. also, she will not let me see my son until then or unless i pay her myself. She wants $50 dollars a week and my son is now going to be 1 year and a month. I have absolutely no idea if this is a small/ large amount child support wise, does anybody have any input on this? I did the calculation and my son would probably only need about $100 a month. She says she came out to that total w/ her babysitting and that would be the total amount. Is baby sitting a factor when considering child support? I do not mind paying money for my son for whatever his needs are but i feel my ex is out for money and i do not get paid very well considering i am a full time student and only earn about $250 a month. Also one last question, i am a dependent of my parents can the judge in any way use my parents income to factor in the costs of child support? Thank you in advance, your input will be appreciated. Sorry its so long.
No one can tell you how long it will take before you're ordered to respond to the filing.....it depends on how backlogged the state is with other cases. Your girlfriend asking for a measly $50 a week in CS is hardly a way to get rich.....and you must not be very involved in your son's life if you think $100 a month is all it takes to care for a baby.....food, diapers, shelter, daycare, doctor visits, medicine......$100 a month hardly makes a dent. You have a child now that you are half responsible for and you may need to cut down your school hours and get a full-time job to support him. This is what happens when you have a child at such a young age. No, your parents income will not be considered for your CS obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">