• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP to get orignal court orders?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missybee53

California, San Bernadino county.

I was wondering how to get a copy of the court order when I first was told I was to pay child support? (Approx. 1984) And then in 1987, they changed the montly amount with another court order (I assume) and would like a copy of that too.

It has been almost 21 years now and I know through some hard times, I missed a few payments. But about when my son became 18 years old, child support added close to $12,000 in interest along with some missing payments!? OUCH!

I just want to know if when I FINALLY get caught up with this balance, which is up to over $21,000 right now, is it over and if not, why am I still paying when my son is 21??

I need to get the court orders to see a lawyer and I don't know where to get a copy. I need legal help of how this will ever end. I did my part and will eventually complete my part of the bargin. But I don't want to be taken advantage of by being a door mat by not at least finding out what's going on with this. Is it over or am I still paying child support on top of the missed payments & the interest??

Please help me know how or what to do at this point. THANKS!

VeronicaGia

You are going to have to get a copy of your file from the county. It sounds easy, but since you are out of state, you will need to call them first. Last I heard they charge 50 cents a page to copy the file, so you need to know exactly what you want and will likely have to put your request in writing.

Gracie3787

I agree with haiku. You can check to see if the docket is available on-line. It will make it easier for you to tell the clerk exactly what you want and the date is was filed.
You can try going to www.govengine.com click on State Courts and then click on state you need.
Good luck to you.

missybee53

It's been so long. How can I know exactly what I want and the date it was filed?? I haven't got a clue. Chouldn't I just give my name and maybe the case# on my statements or something? :confused:

BL

Sometimes records rooms can look up docket numbers by the party's names and bring up a docket # . Then, as others said you can request copies of the Orders made , and also maybe get each record of proceedings .

Be prepared to prove who you are to obtain records. Again you should write or call the court's records Dept. where the orders were made .

As far as how much you've paid , you should have receipts. You can also ask the support agency for an audit or print out of your records .

king sol

The parties names and even better a case # are all you need. Our county has a public computer at the courthouse, you punch in the names and it pulles up all the cases with those parties. Find the one you need and you give the clerk the case # and she goes "in the back somewhere" and returns with the whose file.

I'm almost positive that you do not have to prove that you are a party to the case, court files are open for public viewing. Certain documents may have "blackened out" info or sealed, for confidentiality (welfare info, ss#, etc.)

As far as current support goes, once you child turned 18 (if still in school, older) child support stops. Be on top of your game, however, Child support services make mistakes all the time. The amount you owe is and are still required to pay is arrearage and interest.

Good Luck!

rmet4nzkx

Records for San Bernardino went onling in 2004 and I don't believe they go back as far as OP's original orders, although it is worth a try, I will give the link later along with contact information and to request them OP will have to contact the correct branch. They are very cooporative in providing copies, call ahead and they will look up the file and tell you how many pages need to be copied. If you are looking for child support records that will be a different office. You may still be paying child support because it is being taken and applied towards the arrears and or possibly you never filed to stop child support when the child became an adult.
This will take you to the main page for San Bernardino superior court.
http://www.sbcounty.gov/courts/

missybee53

Wow!

This is really FANTASTIC information! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help. It's nice to know people still care enough to take the time to help others in this world. Many thanks to all of you!!!!

missybee53

Which Form??

Someone on this forum mentioned that we would have to put in a form to have the child support payments stopped after the child turns into an adult. I can't seem to find who said that in this forum?? I know I read it on this thread.

That made me very mad to find out that we were NEVER told we had to do that!? Here we just thought they would inform us that it was over and we didn't have to pay anymore. What a scam and totally frustrating to find that out now!! SO UNFAIR! Seems what you don't know CAN hurt you! :mad:

Can who ever mentioned that help me know which form I would ask for and where to get it PLEASE???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">