• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! My husband is a deadbeat father and a fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AAJ2306

I have a question that can hopefully be answered. My husband and I are separated and we don't plan on reconciling at this time. I have learned alot about him since he has been out of the house for a month now. During our marriage I have been the one to handle important papers and bills, even put away his check stubs. I have now learned that at his last visit to a child support hearing with his ex girlfriend and mother of his two daughters, he claimed that he wasn't working. So they based his income off of minimum wage. Well he is getting paid with personal checks and cashing them at the bank where his boss banks at.

I have the proof that he has been working and makes good money as a framer/labor. I'm pregnant with his daughter and opened a child support case myself. I plan on taking these check stubs and using them. He is on probation and one of his requirements are to support his dependants financially. He has been sending payments of measly $20 here and $45 there for as long as 3 years. I never tried getting into business that involves the ex girlfriend cause I have a bad past with her from when I first began to date my husband. Isn't this child support fraud that his is committing and what can I do to help the system catch him? I may not like the mother because she is a poor example of a mother but, I can't stand back and let two little girls suffer for a deadbeat father. What should I do now?

ecmst12

You know that saying "If he cheats WITH you, he'll cheat ON you"? Well it's the same with child support. If he refuses to pay the mother(s) of his first children, he's going to refuse to pay you too. Not that I don't think you should TRY to get him to pay, but don't expect him to do it, and don't expect his employer to help you, and expect him to do everything in his power to avoid his responsibility, just like he's been doing up until now (with your help).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I have a question that can hopefully be answered. My husband and I are separated and we don't plan on reconciling at this time. I have learned alot about him since he has been out of the house for a month now. During our marriage I have been the one to handle important papers and bills, even put away his check stubs. I have now learned that at his last visit to a child support hearing with his ex girlfriend and mother of his two daughters, he claimed that he wasn't working. So they based his income off of minimum wage. Well he is getting paid with personal checks and cashing them at the bank where his boss banks at.

I have the proof that he has been working and makes good money as a framer/labor. I'm pregnant with his daughter and opened a child support case myself. I plan on taking these check stubs and using them. He is on probation and one of his requirements are to support his dependants financially. He has been sending payments of measly $20 here and $45 there for as long as 3 years. I never tried getting into business that involves the ex girlfriend cause I have a bad past with her from when I first began to date my husband. Isn't this child support fraud that his is committing and what can I do to help the system catch him? I may not like the mother because she is a poor example of a mother but, I can't stand back and let two little girls suffer for a deadbeat father. What should I do now?
But you've apparently been doing just that for at least three years. What's different now?

Honestly a deadbeat dad is a deadbeat period. Adjudicating him might make you feel good but since your pregnant, I guess you could be looking at the next 18 years of your life fighting with this guy over $20, and $45 checks. So you want the courts to award you maybe $400/mo. this will prevent your child from suffering? But it was ok with you while he acted this way with his 2 other children?

Your cancelled checks are proof but not very lasting?
What do the checks say in the note area?

You said he makes "good money" as a framer/laborer? How strong is the housing market where you live?

Can he claim the checks are for materials? reimbursement?
What assets does he have? What do his tax returns look like?
By assets, a simple picture of a $40,000 truck and a boat would be difficult to explain by someone who claims a minimum wage.
You are now concerned with his responsibilities, what about taxes?
Has he been paid under the table the entire time you have been together?

nextwife

Honestly a deadbeat dad is a deadbeat period. Adjudicating him might make you feel good but since your pregnant, I guess you could be looking at the next 18 years of your life fighting with this guy over $20, and $45 checks. So you want the courts to award you maybe $400/mo. this will prevent your child from suffering? But it was ok with you while he acted this way with his 2 other children?

Your cancelled checks are proof but not very lasting?
What do the checks say in the note area?

You said he makes "good money" as a framer/laborer? How strong is the housing market where you live?

Can he claim the checks are for materials? reimbursement?
What assets does he have? What do his tax returns look like?
By assets, a simple picture of a $40,000 truck and a boat would be difficult to explain by someone who claims a minimum wage.
You are now concerned with his responsibilities, what about taxes?
Has he been paid under the table the entire time you have been together?
If he's only the driver, and not the owner of that 40k truck, a photo means nothing. If the truck has a big loan and he's ,merely the coborrower, it also means nothing. Not even an asset, really.

If he's sitting in his buddy's boat, the photo means squat.

Assets are a biggy though. What sort of holdings and savings does he have? Retirement accounts? Stocks? If he's barely paying CS and has nothing accrued as to assets, odds are he either makes a lot less than you think OR he has an addiction that's eating up the money.

mistoffolees

I have the proof that he has been working and makes good money as a framer/labor.
What is the proof? Hearsay doesn't count. Even showing deposits to his account might not be sufficient - if he has other reasons for the deposits.

Just what proof do you have?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">