• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Needed:child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JACKIE FEES

What is the name of your state? IOWA

MY SON AND HIS GIRLFRIEND HAD A CHILD 12 YRS AGO AND SHE HAD ANOTHER CHILD 10 YRS AGO....THE BIRTH CERTIFICATES ON BOTH HAD THE FATHER LISTED AS UNKNOWN. THEY HAVE NOT BEEN TOGETHER FOR OVER 9 YRS. THIS LAST APRIL 04 SHE WENT TO COURT AND HAD HIS NAME PUT ON THE BIRTH CERTIFICATES WITH OUT HIS KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT. NO PATERNITY TEST WAS INVOLVED. NOW HE HAS RECEIVED A LETTER FROM CHILD SUPPORT RECOVERY FOR BACK AND FUTURE CHILD SUPPORT. CAN THEY DO THIS. WHAT ARE HIS OPTIONS TO HAVE SOMETHING DONE, AS A PATERNITY TEST, SO HE IS NOT PAYING CHILD SUPPORT ON CHILD OR CHILDREN THAT ARE NOT HIS. CAN HE DO ANYTHING. HIS FIRST PAYMENT IS DUE IN MARCH. I HAVE HEARD THAT ONCE YOU START PAYING CHILD SUPPORT AND EVEN IF IT IS FOUND OUT THAT THE CHILDREN ARE NOT YOURS YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY. MY SONS INCOME IS LIMITED. IS THERE SOME ONE TO REFER HIM TO. ANY HELP APPRECIATED

At first, you said the first child was his. Now you say neither are his. Which is it? If he did have a child with her, even if no paternity test was taken, he may not be legally responsible now, but don't you think he should take a paternity test and own up to his responsibility if a child is his? It's pretty lame to bail out just so he doesn't have to pay.

What are you talking about, legal? Of course it does. She said that her son had a child with a girl:

"MY SON AND HIS GIRLFRIEND HAD A CHILD 12 YRS AGO AND SHE HAD ANOTHER CHILD 10 YRS AGO."

To which I replied:

"At first, you said the first child was his."

Then she said:

"CAN THEY DO THIS. WHAT ARE HIS OPTIONS TO HAVE SOMETHING DONE, AS A PATERNITY TEST, SO HE IS NOT PAYING CHILD SUPPORT ON CHILD OR CHILDREN THAT ARE NOT HIS."

To which I also stated:

"Now you say neither are his. Which is it?"

So, I don't know what post you are reading.

I know perfectly well what the OP is saying. She is saying that she doesn't see why her son should have been put on the birth certificate without paternity being established. I agree. However, if one of these kids is his (as she stated at the beginning) then why doesn't he got GET a paternity test instead of looking for legal loopholes to escape supporting his child? Just because he didn't authorize having his name on the birth certificate doesn't make him home free. Also, if the child really isn't his, then a paternity test would alleviate his responsibility.

JACKIE FEES

Not Sure How To Go About Doing Anything About This. Son Is Not Trying To Get Out Of Paying Child Support, But He Was Not The Only One With The Mother....kids Have Mothers Last Name. And No Paternity Test Was Given. Child Support Enforcement Sent Him Court Papers Where It States His Name Was Put On Birth Certificate.

Just Hoping To Find Help.

misslawli

:confused: Actually I read it 3 times and have to agree with stepmom. I read it the same as her. He needs to get a DNA test ASAP!!! It probably wasn't just that easy for her to get him put on the BC unless there was a court date he missed or sha has been on state aid.

LdiJ

legalcuriosity said:
Again everyone (except OP), you're missing the point here.

A child support order has been issued WITHOUT OFFICIAL PATERNITY BEING ESTABLISHED!!! I would like to know how CSEA can initiate a support hearing without paternity being established.

Also, how was the biomom allowed to just put a guy's name on the child's birth certificate WITHOUT paternity establishment? They were NEVER MARRIED -- there is no presumption in this case.

Even if the biomom was on state aid, an Order to Establish Paternity is issued and scheduled FIRST!

Unless there is something the OP is not telling us (did your son miss/not show up for a paternity order???), it sounds like paternity fraud on the biomom's part.
Uh...sorry to say this but yes it IS possible for him to be declared the father without a DNA test. If he recieved an order to appear for a paternity hearing/testing, and blew it off, then its possible that he could have been declared the father by default. It happens all the time.

However the other poster didn't misinterpret the original poster either. She just focused on the rest of what the OP stated. Which was that one of the children was his...and then contradicted herself later.

While dad does need to get a paternity test, if one of the kids is his he needs to step up to the plate. Obviously he has known all along that one of them could be his.

VeronicaGia

He needs to hire an attorney and ask for a court ordered DNA test for both children. If he's not the father, he has nothing to worry about. If he is....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">