• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tahstairiah

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi, I live in New York the age of majority law here is age 21 as I've just read on the NYS Uniform Court System. I am currently living with my foster dad I live in the basement of the house that he lives in-- he rents out a room. I was kicked out of my mothers house at age 18, not kicked out more like forced out and threatened or they would call the cops. I currently have to leave my foster dads house because the landlord here doesn't like me very much and me and my foster dad don't get a long at all. I can't go back to my mothers house because her crazy husband wont let me in. He says that I was gone for more than 8 months so thereby I am emancipated.. Meanwhile to be emancipated you have to have a steady paying job and you have to be able to support yourself and I can't do that as of now. According to state law here on child support they are obligated to pay child support until I am 21, yet I've never received those benefits I'm not saying that I want that child support money as spending money but I need food, clothes, and shelter because the landlord here is going to kick me out, and my foster dad could give a rats ass about me. And my mother and my step father, so I'm pretty much stuck. I'm not saying that I am the most perfect person but compared to the person that I used to be; now I have very much calmed the heck down. And I am too young to be going through any of this; they aren't doing their jobs as parents and I am getting the heat for it it is completely unfair. Please I have much more to say but in the meantime can anyone help me? any advice ?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need to get a job. Your foster dad, unless court ordered to do so, owes you nothing as he is not legally obligated to you. Where is your legal father? Your mother does not have to give you money either.

mistoffolees

You are mistaken. The age of majority in NY is 18, not 21.
Age of Majority by State - What is the Age of Majority in US States

Where you may be getting confused is that parents have an obligation to support their kids to age 21 in NY, but that doesn't affect the age of majority.

It is important to note that YOU are not the one who should be receiving child support. It doesn't work that way. The custodial parent is the one who receives child support.

You are free to get a job, find your own place, and move out - just like adults in the rest of the country.

tahstairiah

Have I not made it clear that I don't want to receive that money as spending money? The man doesn't feed me, nor clothe me, and pardon me you're getting the age of majority from about.com from may 2009; yet I got the age of majority from a legal government site updated in 2011 stating the age of majority is 21. And I am trying to get myself into job corp yet my mom lies about giving me my birth certificate and I need documents.

tahstairiah

Either way, I am supposed to receive child support until I am 21 says NYS law. And that money is supposed to go to shelter food and clothes if they don't want me living with them then they're obligated to provide me with shelter food and clothes.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Either way, I am supposed to receive child support until I am 21 says NYS law. And that money is supposed to go to shelter food and clothes if they don't want me living with them then they're obligated to provide me with shelter food and clothes.
No YOU are NOT supposed to receive child support. You are not qualified to receive support until you are 21 under NYS law. You need to comprehend what is being said. GO get a job. Get a copy of your birth certificate. Why do you believe that your "foster dad" is supposed to do anything for you? Why do you believe anyone owes YOU anything? Where is your father?

mistoffolees

You are absolutely wrong. YOU are not supposed to receive child support. EVER.

The custodial parent receives child support until you are 21 (which is a stupid law, IMHO).

You are free to call CPS if you feel that you're being abandoned, but don't be surprised when you get the same answer you've gotten here - get a job and start supporting yourself.

tahstairiah

Huh? Well I know a mother, her son lives with her ex husband (his father) and she always gives the son his child support. Anyways, I am 18 cps can't help me can they? And if they do, what can they do for me?

tahstairiah

You are absolutely wrong. YOU are not supposed to receive child support. EVER.

The custodial parent receives child support until you are 21 (which is a stupid law, IMHO).

You are free to call CPS if you feel that you're being abandoned, but don't be surprised when you get the same answer you've gotten here - get a job and start supporting yourself.
Besides, you misunderstand-- I don't mean receive as in I get that money handed to me.. green paper handed to me, I don't mean that.. I mean whomsoever gets the child support payment is supposed to spend that money on my needs such as food shelter and clothes

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Besides, you misunderstand-- I don't mean receive as in I get that money handed to me.. green paper handed to me, I don't mean that.. I mean whomsoever gets the child support payment is supposed to spend that money on my needs such as food shelter and clothes
Well get in touch with the person whosoever is paying that payment and tell them to cease because you are no longer living with the receiver. Okay? Then you won't have an issue. As nothing will be being paid to support you. But first -- GET A JOB!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What kinda sense does that make? You don't get CHILD support until you're 21? Until you're an adult?
Legally you are an adult at the age of 18. Seriously. You can enter into contracts at that age, work without restriction. Yeah. You are an adult at the age of 18. You are only a child if your parents are separated. Seems somewhat duplicitous.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
They are separated, I call my dad my foster dad because he treats me like a stranger.
Oh really? Maybe if you showed him more respect you wouldn't have the issues.

But at this point, I think you are nothing but a troll.

You don't deserve the child support. AT. ALL. Get a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">