• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with school enrollment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NewGuy413

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I'll try and keep this brief and simple.
I've been divorced for 10 years. We have joint custody. My ex lives 25 miles away - a 45 min drive - but works in town. Previously, we had always agreed upon a school that was convenient to both of us. Because of this, we have to apply for admission out-of-district. This fall, my oldest will be entering high school. The school my ex wants is even farther from me, but it is about halfway between our homes. The one I want is a bit closer to me, but it is not far from her workplace or her husband's. Additionally, I work from home.

So... am I wrong in thinking that the school that is actually in my district and closest to all of us during the school day is a better choice?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I'll try and keep this brief and simple.
I've been divorced for 10 years. We have joint custody. My ex lives 25 miles away - a 45 min drive - but works in town. Previously, we had always agreed upon a school that was convenient to both of us. Because of this, we have to apply for admission out-of-district. This fall, my oldest will be entering high school. The school my ex wants is even farther from me, but it is about halfway between our homes. The one I want is a bit closer to me, but it is not far from her workplace or her husband's. Additionally, I work from home.

So... am I wrong in thinking that the school that is actually in my district and closest to all of us during the school day is a better choice?
well. to be honest, it would depend on who had physical custody. you or mom?

CJane

Does child need driven to school?

What time does child need to be at school?

What time does Mom need to be at work?

What time does child get out of school?

What time does Mom get off work?

During the school week, how many overnights does child spend in each home?

Are the schools of equal quality?

NewGuy413

Answers:

Does child need driven to school?
Her choice - yes. No busing available for either of our homes because the school is out of district for both of us.
My choice - not when they are with me. Only when with her. But, as I said, the school is only four miles past her workplace.

What time does child need to be at school?
About 7:40

What time does Mom need to be at work?
Unknown

What time does child get out of school?
About 2:40

What time does Mom get off work?
Varies. Her husband always picks the kids up.

During the school week, how many overnights does child spend in each home?
14 nights in each home, thus 10 school nights each

Are the schools of equal quality?
Yes. Only two public high schools in this district.

CJane

No. Both are public schools. No cost.
I see. Around here, even if the schools are public, if you live out of district, you pay tuition. Keeps people from shopping for "convenient" schools.

Unfortunately, if you and Mom can't agree, you'll have to go to court.

Since you've got a status quo of each of you being inconvenienced, that's going to play. So is whether or not the child would be leaving most of her school friends behind to move to the school near you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">