• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, W/ child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CeliceColey

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California (Los Angeles County)

I'm a 28 year old mom, who has custody of my 12 year old son.
in 1997 my mother got custody of my son thru the Department of Childrens Services. My case was handled through the Court in Monterey Park and was an open case for 18 months. At which time I had completed all the requirements they had given me and custody was given back to me.

It wasn't until 1 year ago that I got a letter from the D.A. stating that I owe them $32,000.00 then. Now it's up to 'bout $46,000 for back child support.W/ threats of garnishing 50% of my wages and putting a hold on my license (Suspending it)

I was never Ordered to pay child support!
I've had Sole Custody of my son his whole life except for that 18 months.
Can this really be happening? :confused: :confused: :confused: ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
What can I do to resolve this situation? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Thank You, CeliceColey

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Who did you think was supporting your child while Mom was given custody by the state (instead of being placed in foster care)?

CeliceColey

Is this English enough for you? She didn't receive state aid during the course of all this. :rolleyes:

and the charges for the past 6 years while I've had Sole Custody

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
my mother got custody of my son thru the Department of Childrens Services
I'll ask again:

Who did you think was supporting your child while your mother had custody? Did YOU pay her child support? Did his father?

And FYI - that's my sig line - it has nothing specific to do with you. Unless you have some insecurities in that regard.

CeliceColey

So can you tell me why when i got custody back these charges didn't & have not stopped . I understand their annual interest rate of 10% but why are current monthly charges of 450.00 a month. Am I supposed to be paying child support to myself?
oh yeah and his father. . . . . Left when i was 3 months pregnant I have not heard from him since. The courts did CII clearance searches w/ his SSN and turned up nothing!

If you have any knowledge of how to resolve this issue now that whats done is done and somehow I need to take care of this & I would appreciate any suggestions you may have ! !

Thanks again
CeliceColey

CeliceColey

nextwife said:
18 months at, $32,000 is $1777 per month. That is a whole lot of CS.
32,000 is with the interest the original 18 mo. total was 435. x 18 = 8,800. or so add their 10% interest rate on the annual yearly total, & you get roughly 16,000.

CeliceColey

My question is:
Why are they STILL charging me child support every month when I have had sole custody for over six years??

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Nextwife asks a good question. Also - are you SURE (100% sure) that there was never any mention at all of your support obligation? Did anyone file to have the support stopped when you got the kid back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">