• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can child support be cancelled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? alabama

The dad is moving to Alaska and agreed that he'd sign over his rights if child support got cancelled. Can some one here tell me, that if the mother no longer wants child support if it is possible for her to cancel it without an adoption taking place and if so whats the procedure? Ive heard they won't cancel it, but would they not cancel it if the mom flat out says she doesn't want it anymore? What if the mother has been sending the payments back to the dad because she doesnt want it anymore?

Last edited:

LdiJ

Jbrannen205 said:
What is the name of your state? alabama

The dad is moving to Alaska and agreed that he'd sign over his rights if child support got cancelled. Can some one here tell me, that if the mother no longer wants child support if it is possible for her to cancel it without an adoption taking place and if so whats the procedure? Ive heard they won't cancel it, but would they not cancel it if the mom flat out says she doesn't want it anymore? What if the mother has been sending the payments back to the dad because she doesnt want it anymore?
I am sorry but there really is almost no chance that you could get a judge to terminate a parents rights without a stepparent ready to step in to take over the responsibilities. The state wants two parents legally responsible to support children. There can be some rare exceptions to that, but an attorney would be best able to advise you whether or not it was at all feasible.

LdiJ said:
I am sorry but there really is almost no chance that you could get a judge to terminate a parents rights without a stepparent ready to step in to take over the responsibilities. The state wants two parents legally responsible to support children. There can be some rare exceptions to that, but an attorney would be best able to advise you whether or not it was at all feasible.

So, even if the mother says that she doesnt want the support anymore, and that she's just going to keep sending it back to me, not even then they would cancel it??

BL

I take it the Child support Payments are Current ?
No Arrears ?
No money owed to any State ?

Even IF there were no arrears and no money owed to any State that gave aid to the child(ren) , it would be hard pressed for a Judge to simply Terminate child support payments .

The courts deal with all kinds of cases .

The Courts would rather keep the Orders in place , then having to rehear them when something Else comes up . Plus child support payments are for the child's care .

Instead of sending it back to the father , put it in an interest bearing bank account so the Child(ren) have access to it for college or when they are of age .

Blonde Lebinese said:
I take it the Child support Payments are Current ?
No Arrears ?
No money owed to any State ?

Even IF there were no arrears and no money owed to any State that gave aid to the child(ren) , it would be hard pressed for a Judge to simply Terminate child support payments .

The courts deal with all kinds of cases .

The Courts would rather keep the Orders in place , then having to rehear them when something Else comes up . Plus child support payments are for the child's care .

Instead of sending it back to the father , put it in an interest bearing bank account so the Child(ren) have access to it for college or when they are of age .

Yes, the payments are current. And she doesn't want to put up the money in a savings. Everyone involved (mother and father) want to stop the payments through the courts. And just if anything is needed it would be done willingly without having a legal "headache" to worry about fulfilling. You see, the mother and father used to hate each other but now they have made peace and want to eradicate the legal stuff.

I just can't figure out why the court wouldn't let her do that if she wanted to. I mean, its not like they're poor or anything, not by any means, everyone keeps making the point of "putting food in the kids mouth" but fact is they allready got money to blow even without the payment. See?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">