• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I file a lien on property for back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hafrancis

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
My ex-husband owes about $20,000 in back child support. He stopped paying after he was injured on the job and remarried 6 years ago. He and his wife bought a very nice house about 4 years ago. His wife died tragically last year and now he wants to sell the house, I think. Also since she died, he started paying again only $400 less than what he is court ordered to pay. Domestic Relations has a warrant out for his arrest for non-payment of support. Is that warrant still valid now that he is paying again? Can I place a lein on his house to collect arrears should it sell? Also, if there was a life insurance policy on his wife, can I collect payment from that? I know the last question sounds pretty cold. However, he stopped his payments when he married her to pay off all her debts including horses, cruises, fine jewlery and cars, while my daughter received nothing for 6 years.

nextwife

hafrancis said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
My ex-husband owes about $20,000 in back child support. He stopped paying after he was injured on the job and remarried 6 years ago. He and his wife bought a very nice house about 4 years ago. His wife died tragically last year and now he wants to sell the house, I think.
The first thing you need to know is how the house is titled. If he is not in title, no lien can be filed.

hafrancis said:
Also, if there was a life insurance policy on his wife, can I collect payment from that? I know the last question sounds pretty cold. However, he stopped his payments when he married her to pay off all her debts including horses, cruises, fine jewlery and cars, while my daughter received nothing for 6 years.
How could you possibly know what her debts were and what HE paid off?

Anyway, only HIS assets can potentially be attached /seized. If she had llife insurance AND HE WAS THE BENEFICIARY and that money has not been paid out yet or is in a trackable asset, then you may be able to do something. If the beneficiary is someone other than your ex (like a child of hers, a parent or a trust) then you likely can do nothing.

hafrancis

Texas. I know that he had paid off his wife's debts because his family told me when he started borrowing money from him to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">