• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can my husband have his child support taken from his paycheck?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bctmom2005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
:confused:
Hi there! My husband pays Child Support every 2 weeks to his ex wife. She really has a hard time not loosing the checks or she will hold them so long they won't deposit them along with other issues. We want the $ to come right out of his paycheck so that we don't have to bother with it any more. We just have no idea how to get that set up. can anyone offer any advise?

Also, he pays 25% of work related child care...will that be part of the amount deducted? Or will it just be the CO'ed amount of support and he will be responsible for the child care pmts on his own?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
:confused:
Hi there! My husband pays Child Support every 2 weeks to his ex wife. She really has a hard time not loosing the checks or she will hold them so long they won't deposit them along with other issues. We want the $ to come right out of his paycheck so that we don't have to bother with it any more. We just have no idea how to get that set up. can anyone offer any advise?

Also, he pays 25% of work related child care...will that be part of the amount deducted? Or will it just be the CO'ed amount of support and he will be responsible for the child care pmts on his own?

Thanks in advance for any info!

okay. this is the first time i've seen a significant other ask "how do we get the money to mom" instead of "how can we stop giving the money to mom"

i'm flabbergasted! really!

now, i'm going to say this as nice as possible, since i know it will be addressed. see, i'm even going to smile while i say it. :D

no "we". this is a legal board. there is only your husband, DAD. and MOM. and then the CHILD. or children, i only guessed one child.

still smiling. :D

now, dad can have it court ordered to have his wages garnished. if the child care is a set amount, such as 25% of a facility, then he can add that to the amount being garnished. there are two ways to do this. he can do this on his own with family court,

or he can go to the state child support office and they would love to help him out. they can enforce the order as it is. it's forwarded to dad's payroll, and gets garnished.

then, it would be fantastic if mom had her own bank account and it was directly deposited in. i have that. i love it.

Antigone*

My husband actually went back to court for this very reason many years ago. He hated having to deal with lost checks and requests for more money so he requested a hearing and had his wages garnished.

Was not difficult to accomplish, but Isis is correct HE has to be the one to take care of his. Wife is not a party to the action.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
then, it would be fantastic if mom had her own bank account and it was directly deposited in. i have that. i love it.
I used to have this done. It really was nice knowing that the money would just go in on a specified date, I didn't have to worry about when he might have bestirred himself to go to the post office, etc. But he recently decided he didn't like that anymore. Sigh...

TinkerBelleLuvr

It is also possible that the employer might facilitate the money coming directly from the check without a court order. Would suggest they send it to the state instead of her directly though.

I have one fellow who is a little bit behind on his support, but the courts haven't ordered the arrearage to be garnished. We just figured out how much extra he wanted to pay and I just send it. I've had other folks who bring in their court orders and say that want it garnished. Not every employer are big pains about this type of thing.

You may also wish to consider simply having Dad do a direct deposit into ex-W's bank account, with her permission of course. If doing this, it is essential for him to keep great records, including copies of his deposits into that account, and any deposit receipts which may be available. With most banks, dad would not need to be a signor (nor should he be) on the ex-W's account.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">