• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to change jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mmassey13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My child support case is through Oakland County, MI right now, 2 years ago I moved to FL and was informed that if my ex ever moved out of Oakland county then I could petition the courts to change jurisdiction of our case to where I live in FL. Being that he was still in Oakland county I never really looked into it, he has since moved to TN so now I have the opportunity to have jurisdiction transferred however I cannot find any information on what forms to fill out or what to send the court, and I cannot seem to get anybody on the phone in either FL or MI to guide me in the right direction.

Any suggestions or advice would be GREATLY appreciated :)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My child support case is through Oakland County, MI right now, 2 years ago I moved to FL and was informed that if my ex ever moved out of Oakland county then I could petition the courts to change jurisdiction of our case to where I live in FL. Being that he was still in Oakland county I never really looked into it, he has since moved to TN so now I have the opportunity to have jurisdiction transferred however I cannot find any information on what forms to fill out or what to send the court, and I cannot seem to get anybody on the phone in either FL or MI to guide me in the right direction.

Any suggestions or advice would be GREATLY appreciated :)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Jurisdiction would likely follow the child. Are you sure you want to change it to TN?

Mmassey13

Jurisdiction would likely follow the child. Are you sure you want to change it to TN?
Well when my son and I moved to FL jurisdiction remained in MI and I have wanted to transfer it to FL for the longest time but was always told that I could not because in order to do that both parents had to move out of the county it was held in. His father has a tendency to manipulate the system and sweet talk judges or any other court personnel he needs to in order to get away with pretty much paying nothing and making my life a living hell. So I want to transfer it to FL a.s.a.p. so that it is possible for me to be at any court hearings we may have so I actually have a fighting chance to get a decent amount of child support, and to actually have it enforced when he does not pay.

mistoffolees

Well when my son and I moved to FL jurisdiction remained in MI and I have wanted to transfer it to FL for the longest time but was always told that I could not because in order to do that both parents had to move out of the county it was held in. His father has a tendency to manipulate the system and sweet talk judges or any other court personnel he needs to in order to get away with pretty much paying nothing and making my life a living hell. So I want to transfer it to FL a.s.a.p. so that it is possible for me to be at any court hearings we may have so I actually have a fighting chance to get a decent amount of child support, and to actually have it enforced when he does not pay.
Contact your local child support enforcement office to see if they can help you transfer it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">