• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How is Child Care typically calculated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

talisman

What is the name of your state? VA

My ex and I have not been able agree on an amount for child care. Her mom will ultimately be watching the child and recieving the money a judge would decree i owe. How would the judge calculate that amount? would he just take the average cost of child care in our area and split it evenly? The child support split is 60 - 40 my way b/c I make more. Also, if I adjusted my work schedule to watch the child 1 or 2 days a week for the judge take that into account as well?

Phnx02

talisman said:
What is the name of your state? VA

My ex and I have not been able agree on an amount for child care. Her mom will ultimately be watching the child and recieving the money a judge would decree i owe. How would the judge calculate that amount? would he just take the average cost of child care in our area and split it evenly? The child support split is 60 - 40 my way b/c I make more. Also, if I adjusted my work schedule to watch the child 1 or 2 days a week for the judge take that into account as well?
Generally, if the child is already enrolled in a daycare facility (or homecare), whatever the weekly/monthly cost is, is divided in half. Same with intentions of placing the child in designated care. Childcare costs can differ dramatically from one facility to another, even if they're within blocks of each other, and a parent has discretion to decide which placement is best. However, since your cs amount is split 60/40, a judge may very well order you to pay 60% of the childcare costs as well.

nextwife

An "accredited" child care program is entitled to a higher fee than is a non-accredited program. At home, relative care should not cost what a day care "program" with full facilities , daily programing, state mandated outdoor activity time, and regular inspections to meet state standards costs.

Had my Mom cared for my (or any) child in her home, the "fee" that she should be entitled to recieve would not have been comparable to the fee my daughter's YMCA Child Care (State Diversity award, high quality ranking) was entitled to get.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">