• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I claim myself as an independent and/or cut off child support from my mother?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahliss

Washington State-
Alright so I'm eighteen years old. My mother kicked me out about a week after I turned eighteen, but she's claiming me on her taxes and taking child support money from my father. I'm living with some friends and my dad said that if I could get the child support cut off, he would send me the money instead. I called the child support worker and she said that even if I am 18, she couldn't discuss the case with me and so my dad called her. He told me that she said my mother was still my guardian until I'm out of highschool (I have three months left) and she should be supporting me. Obviously, she's not and that money from my dad would really help me out. A friend of mine suggested that I get an address change and claim myself as an independent. Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I tried asking my mother to tell them I wasn't living there anymore, but she wants to keep the money so she wont. All answers are appreciated so much, thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

Dad is required to pay the ordered amount until otherwise ordered by the court. From the sounds of it, the order MIGHT read until you graduate from high school. By the time your dad gets this in front of a judge, you'll have graduated high school. This will not happen overnight. You can get a job alot quicker. Make your own money.

And since you were living with mom last year, she was well within her rights to claim you on her taxes. And she would be well within her legal rights to claim you on her taxes again next year.

Proserpina

Washington State-
Alright so I'm eighteen years old. My mother kicked me out about a week after I turned eighteen, but she's claiming me on her taxes and taking child support money from my father. I'm living with some friends and my dad said that if I could get the child support cut off, he would send me the money instead. I called the child support worker and she said that even if I am 18, she couldn't discuss the case with me and so my dad called her. He told me that she said my mother was still my guardian until I'm out of highschool (I have three months left) and she should be supporting me. Obviously, she's not and that money from my dad would really help me out. A friend of mine suggested that I get an address change and claim myself as an independent. Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I tried asking my mother to tell them I wasn't living there anymore, but she wants to keep the money so she wont. All answers are appreciated so much, thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Your friend is mistaken - that's now how it works.

Dad pays Mom until a court says otherwise. He should go back to court to have the order modified based upon you no longer living with Mom.

As an FYI - child support is to reimburse the custodial parent (in this case Mom) for costs incurred raising the child/ren.

You yourself have no standing to do anything at all. It's between Mom & Dad.

mistoffolees

Does anyone have any idea what I should do?
What you SHOULD do? That's up to you - you're an adult.

Possible options:

1. Move back in with Mom
2. Get a job and become self-supporting
3. Move in with Dad

Child support does not belong to you in any of those options. Any money your parents choose to give you is a gift. You have absolutely no right to child support in any event.

xylene

We inform the parent who is paying support to file in court. DAD needs to file NOW rather than wait 3 months.
100% agree. This is not a trivial change of circumstances. Child is now quasi-homeless because of mom's decision to eject him from the home.

Silverplum

100% agree. This is not a trivial change of circumstances. Child is now quasi-homeless because of mom's decision to eject him from the home.
I agree, also. And I'd like to point out that it's pretty *cruddy* of Dad to put the burden of "getting the CS cut off" upon his CHILD.

*appropriate word choice ;)*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">