• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do i file for child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ConansMom

Alabama (father lives in California)

My son is due December of this year.

His father (23 Navy E-5) has made it clear he wants to be a big part of the child's life (and is most likely going to file for custody) But I'm 26 have a job, i have a supportive family, I own my own home, and car and have minimal debt. His father and i were never married and he lives 3000 miles away from the child's (soon to be) birth state. I don't think that he will win a custody suit (and i will fight it tooth and nail if he tries)

That being said I DO want him involved. As much visitation that is possible when you live on opposite coasts. As many phone calls as he likes, visiting grandparents and relatives on that side of the family.

with me (presumably) having full custody. and dad having visitation how exactly does child support work? Once our son is born how do i start the process? How is the amount calculated, and what am i allowed to use it for? (clothes, school, food... housing? childcare?)

Thanks for your help.

Silverplum

Alabama (father lives in California)

My son is due December of this year.

His father (23 Navy E-5) has made it clear he wants to be a big part of the child's life (and is most likely going to file for custody) But I'm 26 have a job, i have a supportive family, I own my own home, and car and have minimal debt. His father and i were never married and he lives 3000 miles away from the child's (soon to be) birth state. I don't think that he will win a custody suit (and i will fight it tooth and nail if he tries)

That being said I DO want him involved. As much visitation that is possible when you live on opposite coasts. As many phone calls as he likes, visiting grandparents and relatives on that side of the family.

with me (presumably) having full custody. and dad having visitation how exactly does child support work? Once our son is born how do i start the process? How is the amount calculated, and what am i allowed to use it for? (clothes, school, food... housing? childcare?)

Thanks for your help.
Yes, you have a job: https://forum.freeadvice.com/wage-salary-issues-96/reimbursing-my-employer-lost-spoiled-food-also-owner-keeping-our-tips-615426.html
Virginia

Can my employer demand reimbursement for food lost due to a mistake i made?

I cooked $26.22 worth of mushrooms and left them on a cooling rack overnight.(they were deemed unsafe to eat the next morning and thrown out) my mistake. 100% by boss wants reimbursement for the mushrooms.

I am an hourly employee at a (Salad) Franchise restaurant in Virgina. I get paid $8.50 hourly as a grill cook/cashier and work 30 (average) hours a week.
And you plan to leave that job and move away, last we heard: https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/custody-my-unborn-child-moving-615005.html#post3338354
I live in Virginia. I am 3 1/2 months pregnant with my first child, and am planning to move back home to live closer to my friends and family. (i have no family in VA i moved here for work 4 years ago). I am unmarried and the baby's father recently got orders to the west coast. (NAVY) We are not staying together. If i move from Virgina before the baby is born will i be breaking the law in any way? Once the baby is born, (we're not married) what rights will the father have? He makes considerably more money than i do. Will he be able to get custody based on his income? How can i fight it?
Google up child support in your new state.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It is a confusing morning. Last night you lived in VA, with a job you NEED (your words). This morning it seems not to be a problem.

Google is your friend.

And pay for the mushrooms.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
It is a confusing morning. Last night you lived in VA, with a job you NEED (your words). This morning it seems not to be a problem.

Google is your friend.

And pay for the mushrooms.
OP also seems to have moved from VA to AL.

Since she's confused, I'm going to give generic advice to the OP.

After Baby is born, she needs to approach the State Child Support Enforcement Agency. Usually they work out of the DHR/DHS/DCFS/CPS office. She can use google and find out how her state does things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">