• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get a child support order if you can't find parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katebyrd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have custody of grandchildren in Ohio. Bio father lives in Florida. He lives "off the grid" - no address, no phone, no driver's license, no job. He must have a po box or something because he gets distributions from a trust fund every quarter and that is what he lives on. He lives on and off at friend's, motels, camping under bridges. He buys throw away phones and uses the computer at a library.

Since he has a trust fund, I would like to get child support from it. I have the name of trust admin but Ohio won't pursue because there is no support order. Florida won't serve him for support because they can't find him.

Do I have any options - particularly free or no cost options.

KB

latigo

I have custody of grandchildren in Ohio. Bio father lives in Florida. He lives "off the grid" - no address, no phone, no driver's license, no job. He must have a po box or something because he gets distributions from a trust fund every quarter and that is what he lives on. He lives on and off at friend's, motels, camping under bridges. He buys throw away phones and uses the computer at a library.

Since he has a trust fund, I would like to get child support from it. I have the name of trust admin but Ohio won't pursue because there is no support order. Florida won't serve him for support because they can't find him.

KB
What about the birth mother?! Is she living? If so, where?

And how do you know that the father lives in Florida having no address, no phone, no driver's license, no job and Florida can't locate him?

Just Blue

What about the birth mother?! Is she living? If so, where?

And how do you know that the father lives in Florida having no address, no phone, no driver's license, no job and Florida can't locate him?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/change-custody-grandparents-371507.html

This might answer some of your questions. STEP Granny is just after Dad. He alone is to be the ATM. :rolleyes:

katebyrd

Mother is willing to pay child support (but not until the court orders an amount). She has been served and there is a court date looming for her. I know bio father is in Florida because a) he has lived in FL all his life; b) when he gets to the library he posts on facebook and it's clear from his posts that he is still in FL. c) he has been known to call his children a few times/year and he talks about what he is doing, where he is (at that time, usually a motel).

single317dad

Mother is willing to pay child support (but not until the court orders an amount). She has been served and there is a court date looming for her. I know bio father is in Florida because a) he has lived in FL all his life; b) when he gets to the library he posts on facebook and it's clear from his posts that he is still in FL. c) he has been known to call his children a few times/year and he talks about what he is doing, where he is (at that time, usually a motel).
Hire a process server to serve him at the library. A little PI work could narrow down some times he might be there.

EDIT: You may also find this information worth reading:

http://wealthmanagement.com/estate-planning/update-are-trust-funds-safe-claims-alimony-or-child-support

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

KB
Where is BIO MOM? Oh and by the way the use of the word BIO is insulting. He is the children's father. Have you also sued MOM for child support?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
THE WORD IS FATHER. Not bio father. You are being extremely insulting. Knock it off.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
A few more questions: when did you and your husband receive CUSTODY of the children? Did you have father served for the custody hearing? If not, you have issues. Why wasn't child support set at the same time as the custody hearing (which is required in Ohio)? Or was the hearing in Florida?

katebyrd

A few more questions: when did you and your husband receive CUSTODY of the children? Did you have father served for the custody hearing? If not, you have issues. Why wasn't child support set at the same time as the custody hearing (which is required in Ohio)? Or was the hearing in Florida?

Yes, both parents were served for the custody hearing which was here in Ohio about 4 years ago. He was in jail, so he was easy to find. Both parents were addicts, unemployed and homeless at the time so there was no hope of child support. Both parents now have income and so we would like to request child support.

aardvarc

He must have a po box or something because he gets distributions from a trust fund every quarter and that is what he lives on.
He doesn't even need a PO box for that. Banks, including ones holding money for trusts, can send electronic payments anywhere in the world. Dad could theoretically be ANYWHERE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">