• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get my child insured?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VelaRac

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tx.

I had to take my son to the E/R this past weekend, he cut his finger on rusty metal. He needed a tetnas shot. At the E/R I discovered his father dropped insurance on him. Yes, he is required by decree to carry insurance. I am in the process of taking care of this part. However, I need to get my son covered under my insurance in the meantime (he should be covered, the E/R bill was $700.00) The problem is that my company will not cover him if it has been past 30 days since he lost coverage from previous carrier. AND my company wants documentation of lost coverage from his fathers company. This is where second problem comes, his company will not cooperate nor will his father.

Any one have any advice?

Thank you.

You must have had a medical card for insurance on your child. Call the number, usually an 800 #, on the card and ask the insurance company to send you a letter stating when insurance was cancelled. That is a usual request so that you can provide that information to your insurance company. The old insurance company should give this to you.

You would not need to call your x's employment for that or you x~Just the old insurance company.

:) Good Luck

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

File for contempt - request the $700, documentation of prior insurance, and whatever insurance premium increase you get for adding him to your plan.

I do not understand why your company will not cover the child if he has not been insured for the last 30 days. In those cases, the ins companies will usually just not cover any pre-existing conditions for 180 days after the new coverage starts.

If you are instead referring to the company's enrollment period and "qualifying events" which allow you to enroll new members mid-year, then you may be stuck - unless you can show any other activity in your life that meets the definition of a qualifying event according to your company plan.

If getting him on the company plan fails, go to your local State Farm office and tell them that you want an individual health insurance policy. Then amend your contempt filing to add the costs of the new policy. Enroll him in the company plan at the next enrollment period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">