• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I write a child support debt forgiveness letter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marcella2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

My ex husband owes me $30,000 for child support and when I asked the Support Enforcement guy if it was possible for me to erase his debt he said since it wasn't owed to the state, but to me, then I could.

Now here I sit for the past couple of hours trying to google this subject, so my question is, how would I word the letter? I have the exact amount owed, our case number, our names, I don't know what to say or even who I would address it to. For example, Dear so and so, or To Whom it May Concern? I'm very confused. :eek:

Please help, Thanks so much :eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

Did you ask child support if they have a waiver of past due child support?
If poster's ex sweetie is going to get a $30K windfall from this sweet deal (which is disgusting, by the way) then let HIM write the letter. Let HIM hire a lawyer.

stressedatbest

Marcella2008 ,

Now we all have our own stories , and what not on here . And we are here to give you advice . And if it pertains to you . Then you are welcome to take our advice .
I'm kinda concerned for the reason is you would waive $30,000.00 in c/s ? That is for the benefit of your children ?
Are you and your ex getting back together , did he ask you to do this as a favor to him , or are you feeling sorry for him ? Thinking that if you don't waive it he will go to jail and you won't see any c/s at all ? Or are your children simply grown . And you feel you will never get this support and you are done with the mess ?
Yes, lots of questions . But ones that need to be answered and thought through carefully .

My story : I waived $13,00.00 6 years ago ...... my ex asked me to do a "favor" for him . Keep him out of jail , I thought that if he was in jail I wouldn't see any c/s . So I waived the $ . My children suffered , as the result . My ex was never to be found . Didn't pay on time . I should have let him sit in jail !
Then once c/s was modified from one amount to another . He asked me to lower the amount . "he couldn't afford it " . I , with my dumb a## way of thinking . Said uh, duh , ...ok . And lowered . AGAIN , the children suffered !
We went back here recently (because of refusal to pay ) and to modify c/s after 6 years . And well , lets just say what goes around comes around ************** He finally has to pay the full amount ! I grew some ba&** . And stood up to him . And now the girls will no longer suffer .
I don't know your whole story . But please , keep the the current c/s order in effect . As it benefits the children .
To me something fishy is going on . ?

Humusluvr

Marcella2008 ,

Now we all have our own stories , and what not on here . And we are here to give you advice . And if it pertains to you . Then you are welcome to take our advice .
I'm kinda concerned for the reason is you would waive $30,000.00 in c/s ? That is for the benefit of your children ?
Are you and your ex getting back together , did he ask you to do this as a favor to him , or are you feeling sorry for him ? Thinking that if you don't waive it he will go to jail and you won't see any c/s at all ? Or are your children simply grown . And you feel you will never get this support and you are done with the mess ?
Yes, lots of questions . But ones that need to be answered and thought through carefully .

My story : I waived $13,00.00 6 years ago ...... my ex asked me to do a "favor" for him . Keep him out of jail , I thought that if he was in jail I wouldn't see any c/s . So I waived the $ . My children suffered , as the result . My ex was never to be found . Didn't pay on time . I should have let him sit in jail !
Then once c/s was modified from one amount to another . He asked me to lower the amount . "he couldn't afford it " . I , with my dumb a## way of thinking . Said uh, duh , ...ok . And lowered . AGAIN , the children suffered !
We went back here recently (because of refusal to pay ) and to modify c/s after 6 years . And well , lets just say what goes around comes around ************** He finally has to pay the full amount ! I grew some ba&** . And stood up to him . And now the girls will no longer suffer .
I don't know your whole story . But please , keep the the current c/s order in effect . As it benefits the children .
Whaaaaaat????????

CourtClerk

Marcella2008 ,

Is there some legal advice anywhere in there???? Support groups are held 1/4 mile down the information super highway a bit.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

My ex husband owes me $30,000 for child support and when I asked the Support Enforcement guy if it was possible for me to erase his debt he said since it wasn't owed to the state, but to me, then I could.

Now here I sit for the past couple of hours trying to google this subject, so my question is, how would I word the letter? I have the exact amount owed, our case number, our names, I don't know what to say or even who I would address it to. For example, Dear so and so, or To Whom it May Concern? I'm very confused. :eek:

Please help, Thanks so much :eek:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You might want to get a quick consult with a local attorney. I don't believe that a simple letter will be enough. You'll probably need to file a motion with the court, until the court orders that the arrears are forgiven, they aren't forgiven.

Humusluvr

You might want to get a quick consult with a local attorney. I don't believe that a simple letter will be enough. You'll probably need to file a motion with the court, until the court orders that the arrears are forgiven, they aren't forgiven.
I think the best advice I read was to let dad, if he's getting a $30K gift, retain the attorney. Otherwise, keep him on the hook. If its important enough to him, he'll make it happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">