• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do u stop child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randen5862

What is the name of your state?North Carolina-child resides in Maryland my court order says that my child support will end in june of 2005. is that handled by the courts or do i need to set a court date? if so would i need a lawyer? or may i just quit paying after that date as long as the arearage is caught up?

Phnx02

randen5862 said:
What is the name of your state?North Carolina-child resides in Maryland my court order says that my child support will end in june of 2005. is that handled by the courts or do i need to set a court date? if so would i need a lawyer? or may i just quit paying after that date as long as the arearage is caught up?
As long as you are not in arrears, and your order states you are no longer legally obligated to pay cs past this date (due to emancipation), you can make this last monthly payment and then stop without any further notice. ie; you are not required to contact the CP or the courts. You've fulfilled your legal obligation.

icelyn

Arizona - is the CS stopping because the child has reached 18? If this is the case, you may be obligated to pay CS should your child decide to enroll in college and that is another 4 years.

Grace_Adler

No, in NC you don't pay another 4 years. If your children end up attending college, you will have to pay until they are 20, not 22.

I really don't know the procedure for that in this state. In some states, you do have to contact the court, in some you don't. You can always contact the courthouse or an attorney just to double check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">