• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does child support work in my situation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

USARCPL

I live in New York State. I have no criminal history, a bachelor's degree and am on multiple civil service lists and am an honorably discharged U.S. Army veteran. I am having a problem finding a career and cannot make it on my feet yet.

I have two children with two different mothers paying minimum support to both in NYS. Once I am able to get into a civillian career hopefully as soon as possible, how will child support work.

I am under the impression that out of my gross paycheck, I will have 17% taken out for the first child, then another 17% taken for the second child after whats left from the first, then taxes after that.

So in other words, lets say the paycheck is $700, then 17% is 119. So I have 581 left and 17% of that would be around 482 left, then maybe take out about another 25% for taxes so my check should be like 362 so instead of bringing home close to 26,000, I would instead bring home about 18,000, like making minimum wage. Anywho, it's what I have to do as a man because hey that's my responsibility.

Was I sort of correct in my math or do both kids with both mothers compound into 25% together?

Thanks guys.

The only thing I see wrong with your math is that your taxes will be calculated on your pre-child support amount.

Based on your math, this is how it works out.
17% of $700 = $119 for child one

$700-$119 = $581
17% of $581 = $99 for child two

25% of $700 = $175

$700-$119-$99-$175 = $307

$307 = approximate take home pay

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">