• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how does child support work when the father has to pay two seprate women?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

njcrfcdscmommy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio.

My childrens father pays child support for 3 children out in California. Him and I also have 3 children together. I was wondering how the support worked if he had to pay his ex-wife and me? Would her's be lowered? Or would he end up having to pay double! My children are younger than her's, I dont know if that matters, but ive always been told that it does. Any help would be great!

mistoffolees

My childrens father pays child support for 3 children out in California. Him and I also have 3 children together. I was wondering how the support worked if he had to pay his ex-wife and me? Would her's be lowered? Or would he end up having to pay double! My children are younger than her's, I dont know if that matters, but ive always been told that it does. Any help would be great!
Chances are that here would be untouched and yours would be lower - which is the way it should be. He had an obligation and chose to have more kids, so his existing kids shouldn't suffer.

Antigone*

He had children with her first so her have priority. Her would probably remain untouched.

jbowman

All of the above is true IF the first mother HAS a child support judgment. If she doesnt and you file for support, then you get your calculated support based on his and your income only - no other support order.

njcrfcdscmommy

Thats all I was wondering.

I dont want her's to be lowered in anyway, thats why for the past 13month's I havent filed. They live in California and everything out there costs more than here in Ohio. And they deserve every penny they get because their father has chosen to think that they dont exsit, as for mine see him everyday! Im not wanting his money to get back at him, my children deserve to have the same rights and choices as his other children, may that be dance classes, sports, or whatever else may need paid and done for them. Ive been told by one lawyer her's would be cut in half or that her and I could come to an agreement that was equal to the both of us, which didnt seem right. Ive just got alot of mixed reviews on this issue from us normal people to the actual lawyers.

Proserpina

I dont want her's to be lowered in anyway, thats why for the past 13month's I havent filed. They live in California and everything out there costs more than here in Ohio. And they deserve every penny they get because their father has chosen to think that they dont exsit, as for mine see him everyday! Im not wanting his money to get back at him, my children deserve to have the same rights and choices as his other children, may that be dance classes, sports, or whatever else may need paid and done for them. Ive been told by one lawyer her's would be cut in half or that her and I could come to an agreement that was equal to the both of us, which didnt seem right. Ive just got alot of mixed reviews on this issue from us normal people to the actual lawyers.

I have no idea why any attorney would have told you that.

:confused::eek::eek:

njcrfcdscmommy

Thanks so much for the help! The lawyer I seen when my youngest was a month old is actually no longer allowed to practice. I guess I found the quack! That was harsh, I know but true! I have yet to file because I dont know what I should do. Part of me says its for the children other half says dont punish him! What would you do?

Silverplum

Thanks so much for the help! The lawyer I seen when my youngest was a month old is actually no longer allowed to practice. I guess I found the quack! That was harsh, I know but true! I have yet to file because I dont know what I should do. Part of me says its for the children other half says dont punish him! What would you do?
We believe the law, which says that child support is the right of the child. And the theory behind the law is that every child deserves to be supported by both parents.

Proserpina

We believe the law, which says that child support is the right of the child. And the theory behind the law is that every child deserves to be supported by both parents.

Absolutely!

What it's not wise to do though is rely upon actually collecting any child support.

However, there's nothing wrong - in any way, shape or form - from getting an order in place!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The lawyer you spoke to was an idiot. the NORM for Ohio is his GROSS income has the amount of child support paid to others deducted and your income is calculated off the difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">