• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does a person enforce filing of paperwork?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grandma234

What is the name of your state? IL
My daughter's divorce was final a month ago. Her ex (or his attorney) was supposed to file paperwork with his employer to withhold support from his pay. They were also supposed to file the uniform order of support, but haven't done that either. All the divorce order states is that the support must be paid through the state disbursement unit. He sent the first weekly payment last Friday, 3 weeks after the divorce.

Is there any way to enforce or ensure the uniform order of support and the notice of withholding are filed?

What are my daughter's options at this point? She has understood from the beginning that it would take time to process support payments through the disbursement unit, but that has now been delayed due to no one filing the proper paperwork.

Thank you for any info provided.

GrandmaWhat is the name of your state?

Uso

The way my order went into effect was the court gave it to the DOR and they in turn sent it to the employer; however, I mailed a copy of the USO to his employer myself. It went through faster. From the time that DOR sent to his employer was 4 weeks and even then it wouldn't go into effect until the next pay period. Mail a copy yourself to his employer.

CandiceH

It is a waiting game. My divorce was final in DECEMBER and still havent received the support money. I finally have a court date for Wednesday for an "Enforcement of an Order". It is like a merry-go-round so be patient and follow protocol. If she has a copy of the original order she can send this to the support unit. GL....

grandma234

Thank you for your responses and advice. I am going to send the USO to his employer. Meanwhile, I've contacted his mom, and she is making sure the checks are sent to the SDU every week until it starts coming out of his paycheck.

I wish you the best.

Grandma234

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">