• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how dose child support affect my sons ssi amount?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jumac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I have a question bout ssi and child support. I hope this question would go here instead of in the ssi forum

Here is my question my oldest gets ssi for a some mental issues. I know when we together that the amount my son go in ssi was based on the income coming into the house. Dose that mean that where i am paying child support that his ssi will go down or dose it not affect it. please not i am not looking for a way out of paying anything. just woundering what effect it have on his ssi

Just Blue

I have a question bout ssi and child support. I hope this question would go here instead of in the ssi forum

Here is my question my oldest gets ssi for a some mental issues. I know when we together that the amount my son go in ssi was based on the income coming into the house. Dose that mean that where i am paying child support that his ssi will go down or dose it not affect it. please not i am not looking for a way out of paying anything. just woundering what effect it have on his ssi
Do you mean "DOES"?? :rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Child support is NOT income.

MaineGal

Up here in Maine Child Support is counted as income when applying for Food Stamps, Section 8, Maine Care and any other state aid. All money coming into a family IS counted as income.. So he maybe wondering if SSI worked the same way.

Perky

Acccording to this:

Child Disability Starter Kit Checklist

Child support is included as part of the income and resources section of the application. However, I don't see how the child's benefit will decrease due to child support unless OP is paying more in child support than he contributed to household income when he was still a part of the household. :confused:

LdiJ

Acccording to this:

Child Disability Starter Kit Checklist

Child support is included as part of the income and resources section of the application. However, I don't see how the child's benefit will decrease due to child support unless OP is paying more in child support than he contributed to household income when he was still a part of the household. :confused:
I agree, it should not effect SSI. In addition, the income threshold for SSI for children is MUCH higher than it is for welfare benefits.

Gracie3787

It might have an affect, but the only way to know for sure will be by you speaking to the SSA caseworker.

Either way, it needs to be reported to the SSA. Do NOT make the same mistake a friend of mine made, she thought it wouldn't count as income, she didn't report it. After SSA discovering the CS, they now take money out of her child's benefit each month to pay back the overpayment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">