+ Reply to Thread
    jumac is offline Member

how dose child support affect my sons ssi amount?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I have a question bout ssi and child support. I hope this question would go here instead of in the ssi forum

Here is my question my oldest gets ssi for a some mental issues. I know when we together that the amount my son go in ssi was based on the income coming into the house. Dose that mean that where i am paying child support that his ssi will go down or dose it not affect it. please not i am not looking for a way out of paying anything. just woundering what effect it have on his ssi
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumac View Post

I have a question bout ssi and child support. I hope this question would go here instead of in the ssi forum

Here is my question my oldest gets ssi for a some mental issues. I know when we together that the amount my son go in ssi was based on the income coming into the house. Dose that mean that where i am paying child support that his ssi will go down or dose it not affect it. please not i am not looking for a way out of paying anything. just woundering what effect it have on his ssi
    Do you mean "DOES"??
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member

Child support is NOT income.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    MaineGal is offline Junior Member
    Up here in Maine Child Support is counted as income when applying for Food Stamps, Section 8, Maine Care and any other state aid. All money coming into a family IS counted as income.. So he maybe wondering if SSI worked the same way.
    Perky is offline Senior Member
    Acccording to this:

[url=http://www.ssa.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits_child_checklist.htm]Child Disability Starter Kit Checklist[/url]

Child support is included as part of the income and resources section of the application. However, I don't see how the child's benefit will decrease due to child support unless OP is paying more in child support than he contributed to household income when he was still a part of the household.
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perroloco2 View Post
    Acccording to this:

[url=http://www.ssa.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits_child_checklist.htm]Child Disability Starter Kit Checklist[/url]

Child support is included as part of the income and resources section of the application. However, I don't see how the child's benefit will decrease due to child support unless OP is paying more in child support than he contributed to household income when he was still a part of the household.
    I agree, it should not effect SSI. In addition, the income threshold for SSI for children is MUCH higher than it is for welfare benefits.
    Gracie3787 is offline Senior Member

It might have an affect, but the only way to know for sure will be by you speaking to the SSA caseworker.

Either way, it needs to be reported to the SSA. Do NOT make the same mistake a friend of mine made, she thought it wouldn't count as income, she didn't report it. After SSA discovering the CS, they now take money out of her child's benefit each month to pay back the overpayment.