• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to enforce child support with multiple states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

torimac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas and Nevada

Some of you know the back story, but here is the short version...Divorced in CA, child support order out of CA. I moved to TX, Dad moved to NV.

It took TX almost five years to start enforcing child support. It's now been about 2 years since they started that process. Dad is 80k in arrears. I realize that if NCPs don't want to pay, they will find a way. But, we have not even been to court about this in years.

In 2010, CA started the court process for contempt. Dad had his license taken away, but due to the fact that he needs it for work, he was able to get it back without paying anything. After that, the long process of transferring to TX started. I have asked TX to start enforcement proceedings. I was calling once or twice a month and was told they were writing to the other state for enforcement. Every person I talked to said they would start sending a letter, not that they had sent a letter and were waiting. So, it seems to me that they are not communicating with Nevada at all.

I can't talk to Nevada, they will only talk to TX OAG CS. So, there is no way for me, short of spending money I don't have on a lawyer, to verify if Nevada has received a request from TX.

Is there any other way? If I file a complaint or write to a congressman, will that really help at all? I asked to talk to my caseworker and was told that was not possible. I just want TX to do their job and talk to NV. I suspect that it is possible some bigotry is going on given my ex's gender status, but I do not know for sure of course. But I see no reason as to why, after over 5 years of not paying support (he pays about $300 a year, which is less than what is ordered for one month) there has been no court time. Yes, he is working, usually part time. He was working full time while we were married and decided to work part time a few years after the divorce. He lives with his parents so his expenses are minimal.

Our daughter turns 18 this spring, although she has one year of school left. I am worried that once she turns 18, there will be no incentive to try to enforce the order and collect arrears. Any suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">