• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How far behind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lexileigh

What is the name of your state?ALABAMA

How far behind can a father get in child support payments before legal action can be taken??

lexileigh said:

How far behind can a father get in child support payments before legal action can be taken??
I thought it was 3 months in Illinois but I wasn't sure about Alabama so I looked it up... for Alabama it says this--- 7) DELINQUENT or DELINQUENCY. A support debt or support obligation due and unpaid in an amount equal to or greater than six months support payments as of the date of service of a notice of intent to withhold, restrict use of, suspend, or revoke a license. Seems like a long time before they do anything but they also say that you can have your payments made through Friend of the Court and it incourages NCP's to pay on time???

Good Luck

Phnx02

lexileigh said:

Is this a legal question or a moral question? If you're the CP missing ordered CS payments, you should file for contempt within 30-60 days of the first missed payment. ie; something's amiss. If you're the NCP wanting to know how long you can get away without supporting your kid before you get thrown in jail - then you're a complete loser and you don't belong on this board!

lexileigh

Phnx02 said:
Is this a legal question or a moral question? If you're the CP missing ordered CS payments, you should file for contempt within 30-60 days of the first missed payment. ie; something's amiss. If you're the NCP wanting to know how long you can get away without supporting your kid before you get thrown in jail - then you're a complete loser and you don't belong on this board!
I am the CP. How do I file for contempt. My case worker will never return my calls and went to private attorney and they want a $1500 retainer. HELP??

Phnx02

Original poster: Sorry for being so harsh in my initial response. Just see so many deadbeat NCP's trying to justify not paying their child support! If your state says a NCP isn't delinquent until on or after the 6th month of non-payment, then there's not much you can do until this deadline passes. I don't think it'd be worth hiring an attorney before this date......you'll be throwing your money away because he/she can't change the law. Instead, soon as the 6th month passes without payment, call your state CS collection/enforcement office immeidately and file for contempt. Then follow up with them every 2 weeks. I know it stinks you have to wait 6 months before you can do this, but if this is Al law, this is all you can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">