• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get support reduced when one child turns 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrsseeoh

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I have 3 children, who I pay child support for. One has reached age 18 and has graduated from high school. Can I file a something (Motion for Modification of Child Support?) on my own or am I going to have to pay an attorney to file something. I was thinking that would be some sort of simple process for changing child support when one of the children reaches adulthood. What do I have to do?

mrsseeoh

It states the standard 18 years of age or upon graduation from high school, whichever comes later. It would automatically be stopped if there were no other children being supported, but I still have two under 18.

BL

To be quite honest , if you filed for a reduction through a modification , it may not be reduced hardly at all if any .

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I have 3 children, who I pay child support for. One has reached age 18 and has graduated from high school. Can I file a something (Motion for Modification of Child Support?) on my own or am I going to have to pay an attorney to file something. I was thinking that would be some sort of simple process for changing child support when one of the children reaches adulthood. What do I have to do?
You don't have to have an attorney for a simple modification due to the eldest child emancipating. Before you file though, if your income has increased since the order was issued, you need to run the numbers on a CS calculator to see how much of a decrease there might be. Sometimes, if a NCP is earning alot more than before the CS could increase even though there's one less child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">