• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can the state hold your child support payments???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annoyedd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live In GA,
I receive a very large amount of child support per month. {over 2k} Since signing up with child support services, there dad has made three payments. The first one took 2dys, the second one took 10dys, I ask him to make July payment early cause it takes to long for me to get, he made July payment on June 20th, as Im typing this I still don't have the monies in my account. I spoke to someone at CSS she stated it depends on how the payment was made to them. She also stated they received the money on June 28th, and I should receive it soon. He make the payments the same way every month. I was told by a friend that sometimes child support will hold the funds in there bank to grow interest, or to do payroll ect... Im just trying to get and answer, how long can CSS hold on to the monies, after it has cleared the bank??

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live In GA,
I receive a very large amount of child support per month. {over 2k} Since signing up with child support services, there dad has made three payments. The first one took 2dys, the second one took 10dys, I ask him to make July payment early cause it takes to long for me to get, he made July payment on June 20th, as Im typing this I still don't have the monies in my account. I spoke to someone at CSS she stated it depends on how the payment was made to them. She also stated they received the money on June 28th, and I should receive it soon. He make the payments the same way every month. I was told by a friend that sometimes child support will hold the funds in there bank to grow interest, or to do payroll ect... Im just trying to get and answer, how long can CSS hold on to the monies, after it has cleared the bank??
No, they don't hold the payments for any reason unless its necessary (ie to make sure a check clears). He probably is not being totally honest with you about when he is making the payments and/or he is being inconsistent in the method used to make the payments.

annoyedd

Yea I thought the same thing at first, I had him meet me at the bank, I told him the state sent me a letter stating they were going to suspend his professional lic. do to non-payment. While at the bank they gave him a print out showing all three payments, all made the same way,, there just sending it at different times..

SESmama

The best way for you to get the CS on a fairly regular basis is to do an IWO. DCSS generally holds the money for ~5 days to ensure the check/money clears. Then you can get it direct deposit into an account.

For example: my CS payment was received by DCSS on June 27. The funds were placed in my account on July 2. It has been like this for 3 years.

Now, if dad sends his checks in on an irregular basis then there is no way to tell when you get the funds. And if DCSS has to send You a check, expect it to be longer.

http://dcss.dhs.georgia.gov/

CSO286

Ok, so if Dad made a payment on June 28th, the important questions are when did it arrive at the the clearinghouse, when was it reciepted and credited to the case?

A payment made by him on June 28th stands a good chance of not getting receipted until July 1--at the earliest. That's the next business day. Some states can take up to three days. And once the payment is reciepted, it can take another 1-3 days for the payment to be sent out to the cp depending on the mehtod the CP elected to use to recieve the support (direct deposit to a bank account, a stored value card, or paper check). The first two often take 1-2 days for it to appear, the last one, up to a week. I know most states are pretty good about getting each step done in 2 days or less.

Throw in the fact that this was a holiday week, and that can screw everything up another 1-3 days. Receipting's a day late, payments get issued a day late, banks won't credit payments for at least another day......

ETA: I work in child support--albeit in anothere state. When I get asked about this type of situation, I tell the CPs that I expect they would have their payments within about a week of it beign receipted at the payment center.
If they say that talked to the other party and the payment was mailed on such and such a date, I estimate at least 10 days from the date of mailing, to allow for USPS delays.

Last edited:

annoyedd

Ok, so if Dad made a payment on June 28th, the important questions are when did it arrive at the the clearinghouse, when was it reciepted and credited to the case?

A payment made by him on June 28th stands a good chance of not getting receipted until July 1--at the earliest. That's the next business day. Some states can take up to three days. And once the payment is reciepted, it can take another 1-3 days for the payment to be sent out to the cp depending on the mehtod the CP elected to use to recieve the support (direct deposit to a bank account, a stored value card, or paper check). The first two often take 1-2 days for it to appear, the last one, up to a week. I know most states are pretty good about getting each step done in 2 days or less.

Throw in the fact that this was a holiday week, and that can screw everything up another 1-3 days. Receipting's a day late, payments get issued a day late, banks won't credit payments for at least another day......

ETA: I work in child support--albeit in anothere state. When I get asked about this type of situation, I tell the CPs that I expect they would have their payments within about a week of it beign receipted at the payment center.
If they say that talked to the other party and the payment was mailed on such and such a date, I estimate at least 10 days from the date of mailing, to allow for USPS delays.
Thanks for the info, It really helped, but the weird thing is, he paid with his checking acct card on June 20th, and css received it, and it was cleared on the 21st of June, then the css agent stated they received it on the 28th of June, this is just so frustrating,,,, but I guess its better late then never...lol, cause if I don't go thru css, he wouldn't pay anything willingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">