• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do I need to pay support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dad42

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My son is turning 18 the end of March. He was supposed to graduate in June this year, but was held back a year between kindergarten and first grade. How long will I need to pay child support in Pennsylvania? Will it be when he's 18 or when he graduates? If so, will I have to pay an extra year because of his mother's decision (and her decision alone) to hold him back a year?

Silverplum

"The age of majority in PA is now 18 or graduation from high school unless the child has a disability (mental, developmental or physical), in which case support order. It does not occur automatically. PA no longer recognizes a statutory cause of action for post secondary educational support. 23 Pa.C.S.A Section 4327(a) was rules unconstitutional in 1995 by the Supreme Court of PA in the Curtis vs. Kline case. However, contractually based agreements for post secondary educational support contained in marital separation agreements are enforceable."

http://ocse3.acf.dhhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?State=PA#4

I don't know what's up with the bad writing, but that's the PA citation.

Note that emancipation does not occur automatically -- that means you have to file for it.

DOS2005

Reply to Dad42

dad42 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My son is turning 18 the end of March. He was supposed to graduate in June this year, but was held back a year between kindergarten and first grade. How long will I need to pay child support in Pennsylvania? Will it be when he's 18 or when he graduates? If so, will I have to pay an extra year because of his mother's decision (and her decision alone) to hold him back a year?
:rolleyes:
Here and a pretty general rule is when they graduate HS. Whether that is 18 or older or they are 18 and have already graduated or Quit school. After court ordered support has ended however you can make arrangements between you and the child to help him along with college or help get him on his feet but you won't have to pay support though the courts or to your ex spouse at least. I have heard that there are states that ask the support to remain in effect the first 2 years of college also but most states financial responsibility ends when the child is out of HS and 18.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yep, PA's 18 OR graduates from HS - whichever is later. Why is this an issue? The kid is apparently in school, and graduating later than 18 through no fault of his own. Do you seriously think Mom decided 18 years ago to hold him back a year just so she could scam an extra year's support from you? That's kinda whacked, Dude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">