• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do you pay support in MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Isiah

What is the name of your state? MN
Hello, i am kind of getting mixed stories about how long I will be paying child support. I spoke with my child support officer and he gave me the impression that i will be paying untill my son is 20. I was under the impression that it would be 18, or if he decided to go to a secondary school(then 20). Which he is not. My cs officer said it is a law in Mn for me to pay until 20 if he's still in High School. I AM REAL CONFUSED! Help! Thank you!

fairisfair

What is the name of your state? MN
Hello, i am kind of getting mixed stories about how long I will be paying child support. I spoke with my child support officer and he gave me the impression that i will be paying untill my son is 20. I was under the impression that it would be 18, or if he decided to go to a secondary school(then 20). Which he is not. My cs officer said it is a law in Mn for me to pay until 20 if he's still in High School. I AM REAL CONFUSED! Help! Thank you!
Secondary school IS high school.

Isiah

ok..

I understand all that .. I guess I wasn't clear. He is barely finishing High School as it is. He's on a truancy program. His mom has no interest in making him go to school. This is going to be our second time in truancy court. I just don't think it's fair when he turns 18, he can right his own note for school, because he's too lazy to go! Is there any exceptions in Mn law? I have to pay until he's 20, but he gets's to right his own sick note, when he doesn't feel like going. Not fair.

Silverplum

I understand all that .. I guess I wasn't clear. he is barely finishing High School as it. He on a truancy program. His mom has no interest in making him go to school. This is going to be our second time in truancy court. I just don't think it's fair when he turns 18, he can right his own note for school, because he's too lazy to go! Is there any exceptions in Mn law? i have to pay until he's 20, but he gets's to right his own sick note, when he doesn't feel like going. Not fair.
sigh...

We answered your question. NOW it's actually a different question, involving *fairness.*

THOSE questions are best answered by your state representatives, who are directly responsible for making your state's laws.

fairisfair

I understand all that .. I guess I wasn't clear. He is barely finishing High School as it is. He's on a truancy program. His mom has no interest in making him go to school. This is going to be our second time in truancy court. I just don't think it's fair when he turns 18, he can right his own note for school, because he's too lazy to go! Is there any exceptions in Mn law? I have to pay until he's 20, but he gets's to right his own sick note, when he doesn't feel like going. Not fair.
check school policies. He CAN'T just "write his own note" :rolleyes:

fairisfair

sigh...

We answered your question. NOW it's actually a different question, involving *fairness.*

THOSE questions are best answered by your state representatives, who are directly responsible for making your state's laws.
Thank God you learn the "it's not fair" line LONGGGGGGG before secondary school. :rolleyes: (oh those rollies are OP's not yours so get your hands off em)

Isiah

I guess I will leave it alone. I come for help, I guess i am not getting it. This may not be a serious problem in your life but my child's life is. I want better for him but the state doesn't seem to care. All they care about is if they get support fromme. I have been paying it non stop for the last 17 years, have NEVER been behind. jeez sorry!

fairisfair

I guess I will leave it alone. I come for help, I guess i am not getting it. This may not be a serious problem in your life but my child's life is. I want better for him but the state doesn't seem to care. All they care about is if they get support fromme. I have been paying it non stop for the last 17 years, have NEVER been behind. jeez sorry!
News FLASH the state doesn't get support from you. Your child does.

If you care then that is a parenting issue, not a legal one.

act on it.

Silverplum

Indeed.
We merely provided you with a comprehensive link to your state's laws, with explanations contained within.

That's not help. That's just...a waste of my time. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess you wanted me to run over to your state and get some laws changed this afternoon, eh? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're what's known as "an ingrate."

Isiah

ok then..I may be an ingrate..thanks

Ummm.. I highly doubt a judge would entertain a custody issue so close to 18. That's coming from a lawyer. Thanks 4 your help..you rock!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">