• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long must I pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jack Tulane

New Jersey. My daughter graduated college this summer with a bachelors in Business. She is 22 years old and lives with her mother. I've been paying child support since her mother and I divorced when she was 2. Now she's going for a Masters degree (school full time) in Marketing. Must I continue to pay child support because she has decided to continue her college education? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
New Jersey. My daughter graduated college this summer with a bachelors in Business. She is 22 years old and lives with her mother. I've been paying child support since her mother and I divorced when she was 2. Now she's going for a Masters degree (school full time) in Marketing. Must I continue to pay child support because she has decided to continue her college education? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What does your court order say?

LdiJ

You could certainly file to attempt to terminate child support. I think its likely that you would prevail.

Jack Tulane

In reply to Zigner

I don't mean to whine, I was asking for advice. As for my court order, it states that if she's to go to college, I will continue to pay support as long as she lives with her mother. I'm thinking I could have a career student here and what if after the next four years she decides she wants to continue her education in another field? Is there no end legally?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't mean to whine, I was asking for advice. As for my court order, it states that if she's to go to college, I will continue to pay support as long as she lives with her mother. I'm thinking I could have a career student here and what if after the next four years she decides she wants to continue her education in another field? Is there no end legally?
Yes, take it to court. However, you order is vague enough (from your paraphrased statement above) that it's not a slam-dunk that it will stop. But, I suspect that you have a better than 50/50 shot at it.

mistoffolees

Please provide the exact wording (word for word, but without the names). I really doubt that it says that you have to pay CS as long as she lives with Mom, even if it says she must be in college.

If you want useful advice, we need to know exactly what the order says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">