• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is it supposed to take to receive child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I broke up with my daughter's father in August of last year (we were never married). I filed for child support in September and also signed my daughter up for a type of Medicaid. When I signed her up for the insurance they also sent me paperwork on getting child support. I didn't get a letter from the child support office until October 27. I answered all of the questions and contacted my case worker etc.. We are now in the process of establishing custody and paternity. The judge will read and (hopefully) sign the agreement we made (with the help of our lawyers) next month.

I still have not received any child support. When I call the child support office the lady tells me that I filed everything correctly and it is still processing!!!! Will my ex owe child support starting from when I first filed? Or will he not have to pay anything until the judge signs our paperwork next month? Our lawyers asked how much money we made so they could also file for child support along with our custody agreement. What on Earth takes so long? I am lucky to have two jobs to support my daughter and barely scrape by, what about all of the moms who can't make it?

Proserpina

No mom should depend on child support to make it. It's a recipe for disaster.
In a very succinct and perfectly formed nutshell.

OP, take heed. You just cannot rely on child support as part of your regular income. If the obligated parent is determined not to pay, they're just not going to pay no matter how many threats of garnishment, jail time and/or license revocation are tossed their way. It can be virtually impossible to "collect".

I don't rely on CS, obviously I've never gotten a dime. I am just wondering how long it is supposed to take and if they will go back from the time I first filed or not. I think all children deserve support from both of their parents, but I'm not stupid enough to think that they all get it! I know several kids myself who do not. In case I wasn't clear, they never actually got around to whatever (don't know how this works) they need to do to ask him to pay it, it is still processing. He never received a child support order yet, I am wondering how long that part takes....not looking for extra "reliable" income.

truebluemd

I broke up with my daughter's father in August of last year (we were never married). I filed for child support in September and also signed my daughter up for a type of Medicaid. When I signed her up for the insurance they also sent me paperwork on getting child support. I didn't get a letter from the child support office until October 27. I answered all of the questions and contacted my case worker etc.. We are now in the process of establishing custody and paternity. The judge will read and (hopefully) sign the agreement we made (with the help of our lawyers) next month.

I still have not received any child support. When I call the child support office the lady tells me that I filed everything correctly and it is still processing!!!! Will my ex owe child support starting from when I first filed? Or will he not have to pay anything until the judge signs our paperwork next month? Our lawyers asked how much money we made so they could also file for child support along with our custody agreement. What on Earth takes so long? I am lucky to have two jobs to support my daughter and barely scrape by, what about all of the moms who can't make it?

It looks like paternity hasnt been establish so that may be a hold up. Once you get a child support order, its owed from the day its filed; however, legally, without and order, the payor is not obligated to pay anything until a court order for CS is in place. Once the order is in place, the judge should assess the arrears going back to september.

Proserpina

I don't rely on CS, obviously I've never gotten a dime. I am just wondering how long it is supposed to take and if they will go back from the time I first filed or not. I think all children deserve support from both of their parents, but I'm not stupid enough to think that they all get it! I know several kids myself who do not. In case I wasn't clear, they never actually got around to whatever (don't know how this works) they need to do to ask him to pay it, it is still processing. He never received a child support order yet, I am wondering how long that part takes....not looking for extra "reliable" income.
When you called to inquire about the delay or processing, what did they tell you?

She just said that it was processing and that's it. I just called to make sure that they were still working on it and that I had filed correctly and she said yes. I know another single mom who filed right after I did and she hasn't heard anything yet either. When my sister filed 15 years ago she got an answer within a few weeks. I wonder if it is just that they are really busy because it seems there are fewer and fewer children in intact families these days.

Isis1

She just said that it was processing and that's it. I just called to make sure that they were still working on it and that I had filed correctly and she said yes. I know another single mom who filed right after I did and she hasn't heard anything yet either. When my sister filed 15 years ago she got an answer within a few weeks. I wonder if it is just that they are really busy because it seems there are fewer and fewer children in intact families these days.
it is quite possible that they are busy. they have due process to follow as well. it never happens overnight. mine took a little over a year. for the order itself. then the time it takes to garnish wages. then you have to factor in whether the payor has a job to garnish wages from. and if that payor quits his/her job. some people just refuse to pay and will do anything to avoid paying.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I've been waiting 14 years for the mother of my children to pay support...not holding my breath!

modad75

I am a dad who is supposed to get child support from the ncp which is mom. She never pays, child support finished the paperwork in about a months time, but her job isn't withholding the pay.... so it's always something with my situation... just stay on top of it. And like a previous poster stated, you can never rely on child support to pay anything.

modad75

Also when I went to court I was given the opportunity to back date to the date she left the home, or start from that month forward.... seeing as she never paid a dime towards the girls before it was required, i just started from that point forward...I'd never see anything let alone the arrears anywats.

When I first filed I received some "child support and you" type brochure and it alluded to what other people that I know personally have said....they just go straight for wage garnishment these days. Is it true? I will have to see if I still have that brochure. It said something along the lines that it's easier to ensure payment when they garnish the ncp's wages so they just do it up front. They asked me several questions about his employer.

Proserpina

When I first filed I received some "child support and you" type brochure and it alluded to what other people that I know personally have said....they just go straight for wage garnishment these days. Is it true? I will have to see if I still have that brochure. It said something along the lines that it's easier to ensure payment when they garnish the ncp's wages so they just do it up front. They asked me several questions about his employer.
Much as I'd love to never have to raise this concern, please just be aware that if the NCP's wages are garnished, it's not uncommon for that NCP to switch jobs and even make a concerted effort to work under the table to prevent this from happening.

I hope it doesn't. But some people are just so determined to not pay that it can literally be impossible to collect.

modad75

Much as I'd love to never have to raise this concern, please just be aware that if the NCP's wages are garnished, it's not uncommon for that NCP to switch jobs and even make a concerted effort to work under the table to prevent this from happening.

I hope it doesn't. But some people are just so determined to not pay that it can literally be impossible to collect.
exactly what is happening in my situation...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">