• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much is TOO much??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I am just recently divorced. We have joint custody with 3 children living with father. I am paying child support of $933.00 a month. I am bringing home $2,903.00 a month from my job.

Does this sound unreasonable?? I had no idea it would be this much. I used his lawyer.

Can I contest it?

Lori

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Illinois CS is calculated on a percentage of the NCP's income. (It starts at 20%.) CS in IL is not a shared income model.
A.IMDMA §505 - Child Support:

By Federal mandate, each state must review and amend its guidelines every four years. Illinois has been deficient in so doing. The first time that Illinois did so was in 2003 with Public Act 93-0148 in which Illinois increased the support level for two children to 28% of net. There are only six states (including Illinois) which follow a model in which the support guidelines are based upon a percentage of income. As of 2007, 39 states follow what is called the "income shares" model.

1.General Support Provisions: Some of the significant portions of §505(a) read as follows (enforcement procedures and certain other portions are generally omitted; emphases are added):

(a)In a proceeding for dissolution of marriage, legal separation, declaration of invalidity of marriage, a proceeding for child support following dissolution of the marriage by a court which lacked personal jurisdiction over the absent spouse, a proceeding for modification of a previous order for child support under Section 510 of this Act, or any proceeding authorized under Section 501 or 601 of this Act, the court may order either or both parents owing a duty of support to a child of the marriage to pay an amount reasonable and necessary for his support, without regard to marital misconduct. The duty of support owed to a minor child includes the obligation to provide for the reasonable and necessary physical, mental and emotional health needs of the child. For purposes of this Section, the term "child" shall include any child under age 18 and any child under age 19 who is still attending high school.

(1)The Court shall determine the minimum amount of support by using the following guidelines:

Number of children

Percent of Supporting Party's Net Income
1 20%
2 28%*(changed in 2003)
3 32%
4 40%
5 45%
6 or more 50%
Illinois Law re Child Support - Statutory Law

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I am just recently divorced. We have joint custody with 3 children living with father. I am paying child support of $933.00 a month. I am bringing home $2,903.00 a month from my job.

Does this sound unreasonable?? I had no idea it would be this much. I used his lawyer.

Can I contest it?

Lori
So from Geekess's figures, that sounds about right.

One thing I'd like to point out. You did NOT use his lawyer. A lawyer can not legally represent both sides. So he had a lawyer and you didn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">