• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to redirect support to kicked out child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcake

New York

My husband's daughter was kicked out of her mother's house for the 3rd time. The last time, we were a week away from the court date to get custody of her. Then she moved back in with her mother because her father told her she couldn't drive without a license. This time, she wants to be emancipated. She's only 17 so custody may be awarded to the state.

On the one hand, she doesn't want to listen to rules. On the other, her mother is abusive and neglectful. The daughter is getting in touch with the law guardian who was assigned to her the last time we were supposed to go to court.

The mother currently receives child support through child collection. Now, how do we do something about the support actually going to his daughter's care? We're not sure if we have to wait to see what the law guardian does or if we should file something. We don't know because we do know his daughter doesn't want to live here, so it's not like we can file for custody

LdiJ

New York

My husband's daughter was kicked out of her mother's house for the 3rd time. The last time, we were a week away from the court date to get custody of her. Then she moved back in with her mother because her father told her she couldn't drive without a license. This time, she wants to be emancipated. She's only 17 so custody may be awarded to the state.

On the one hand, she doesn't want to listen to rules. On the other, her mother is abusive and neglectful. The daughter is getting in touch with the law guardian who was assigned to her the last time we were supposed to go to court.

The mother currently receives child support through child collection. Now, how do we do something about the support actually going to his daughter's care? We're not sure if we have to wait to see what the law guardian does or if we should file something. We don't know because we do know his daughter doesn't want to live here, so it's not like we can file for custody
Your husband is going to have to wait to see what happens.

BL

Until the daughter no longer resides there legally through a change , CS obligation need to be paid to the mother as ordered .

The father needs to continue with court and at 17 the Judge just may order the change to the father .If that happens then he can petition for CS obligation to be terminated .

Why would the State take the child ?

Doesn't the father want custody ?

Where does the child go when Mom kicks her out ?

tcake

Yes, as I stated, we did attempt to go for custody in the past. The daughter lives 45 minutes away and she wants to live near her school so she can finish high school.

Of course we understand that we have to keep paying support to the mother until the court makes a change.

We're just trying to find out what to do. The mother will not take any action, since doing nothing will continue to benefit her.

So, specifically, we don't know what to do since this child does NOT want to live with us. We're looking for a starting point.

The daughter is currently staying at a friend's house but is looking to share a room for rent with another friend.

Last edited:

BL

Yes, as I stated, we did attempt to go for custody in the past. The daughter lives 45 minutes away and she wants to live near her school so she can finish high school.

Of course we understand that we have to keep paying support to the mother until the court makes a change.

We're just trying to find out what to do. The mother will not take any action, since doing nothing will continue to benefit her.

So, specifically, we don't know what to do since this child does NOT want to live with us. We're looking for a starting point.

The daughter is currently staying at a friend's house but is looking to share a room for rent with another friend.
The mother can not legally kick a 17 yr. old out of the house .

However the 17 yr. old could voluntarily leave and if the 17 yr. old has a place to stay and is otherwise able to be taken care of or can care for themselves , the authorities will most likely not make the 17 yr. old return home .

As far as redirecting CS payments ?

The Adults where the child is staying may end up with the payments .

As was said , the father waits for the GAL to respond , the father keeps court dates .

Legally there is no " we " .

Just Blue

I guess nobody's actually gone through this, since no one really seems to know the answer.
Yes. Your HUSBAND is a snowflake. HE is unlike all other PARENTS. :rolleyes:

YOU, however, are very like all other overstepping bedmates. ;)

Read the sticky at the top of the "Custody Forum".

:)

tcake

Married couples do things together, make decisions together and solve problems together. My husband's problem is my problem. That's the way it is in a good marriage.

So, if you don't have advice to offer, why comment at all?

BL

Married couples do things together, make decisions together and solve problems together. My husband's problem is my problem. That's the way it is in a good marriage.

We talk legally here .

" legally " you can not do anything .

" Legally " your husband can do legally ?

So instead of "we" direct your questions to what can my husband do legally .

I gave you an answer but apparently it's not what you want to hear .

There would be further questions if the Father could log on and type .

Like , were the police called when the daughter was kicked out on 3 separate occasions ?

How long before the child turns 18 ?

Why has not Dad stepped up and taken the child in ?

majomom1

I've been through it... but I sure cannot understand why you would want CS to go directly to this 17yo that doesn't follow the rules.

Just Blue

Actually NO! Your HUSBANDS LEGAL issues are his OWN. THAT IS THE WAY IN GOOD MARRIAGES. Please feel free to scan other threads that overstepping mates have made. Please also read the threads from LEGAL parties that have had their parental rights cut back do to their mates.

When it comes to custody...HIS "problems" are His problems.

Thank You for your anticipated reading of the "sticky".

Blue:)

majomom1

Actually NO! Your HUSBANDS LEGAL issues are his OWN. THAT IS THE WAY IN GOOD MARRIAGES. Please feel free to scan other threads that overstepping mates have made. Please also read the threads from LEGAL parties that have had their parental rights cut back do to their mates.

When it comes to custody...HIS "problems" are His problems.

Thank You for your anticipated reading of the "sticky".

Blue:)
I guess Mom's "abuse & neglect" were not "their" problem...

Dad needs to step up NOW... not to "redirect" CS... but for the 17yo daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">