• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Reduce Child Support since terminated from Job (Child support case in NY)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FortLincoln

What is the name of your state? NY

I am currently paying Child Support in the State of New York. I recently was terminated from my job involuntarily mid- March of this month. I have a court ordered child support payment that I will not be able to pay in the month of April b.c. my salary, as a result of termination, will be drastically reduced. I have let the mother know of my circumstances and she said she will not voluntarily reduce the payment in court nor remove me from child support custody(I have paid on time each month for the last 14 years including health insurance)...I don't want to fall behind in my payments and have a judgement placed against me (this will make it even more difficult to find a job since in my field they perform credit checks). I should also note that I have a mortgage, etc. to pay that far exceeds the monthly allotment...I was making at least 90K and now I am reduced to receiving unemployment compensation that may not be more than $1,300 a month. I should also note that I am currently looking for work (was doing so prior to termination) but the market is really tight (no surprise b.c. of the economy). I can document since I have received responses from places applied. I am not trying to get out of paying child support but cannot pay even close to the amount paid prior (my fixed bills are $2,600 for minimal mortgage, home insurance, car payment, car insurance, and basic utilities).

Is it advised to petition the court without an attorney...I have no money for legal representation? What steps do I need to take (and what documentation required) to petition the court to reduce my child support payment since involuntarilly separated from job (I was wrongfully fired and have legal representation...however, this will not pay my bills now)? Also, can I perform this task online or do I need to travel to NY? Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Silverplum

I am currently paying Child Support in the State of New York. I recently was terminated from my job involuntarily mid- March of this month. I have a court ordered child support payment that I will not be able to pay in the month of April b.c. my salary, as a result of termination, will be drastically reduced. I have let the mother know of my circumstances and she said she will not voluntarily reduce the payment in court nor remove me from child support custody(I have paid on time each month for the last 14 years including health insurance)...I don't want to fall behind in my payments and have a judgement placed against me (this will make it even more difficult to find a job since in my field they perform credit checks). I should also note that I have a mortgage, etc. to pay that far exceeds the monthly allotment...I was making at least 90K and now I am reduced to receiving unemployment compensation that may not be more than $1,300 a month. I should also note that I am currently looking for work (was doing so prior to termination) but the market is really tight (no surprise b.c. of the economy). I can document since I have received responses from places applied. I am not trying to get out of paying child support but cannot pay even close to the amount paid prior (my fixed bills are $2,600 for minimal mortgage, home insurance, car payment, car insurance, and basic utilities).

Is it advised to petition the court without an attorney...I have no money for legal representation? What steps do I need to take (and what documentation required) to petition the court to reduce my child support payment since involuntarilly separated from job (I was wrongfully fired and have legal representation...however, this will not pay my bills now)? Also, can I perform this task online or do I need to travel to NY? Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
You CAN do this yourself. Google NY Child Support Modification. You can fill out the forms yourself and send them to NY. You will have to have Mom served.

You can also search this site for NY CS info. Don't pay attention to any info other than for NY -- state laws vary widely.

Good luck to you. :)

exhubby1234

I would contact your local family court asap as the date of filling will be the date of the order even thou it might take awhile to get a court date. I would file under change in circumstance and in some cases depending on the time you have your children your ex might have to pay you. Good luck finding work.

BL

You say you have legal representation for involuntary termination , but can not afford one for child support ?

You have to petition for a modification in NY where the Jurisdiction is .

Form : http://www.nycourts.gov/forms/familycourt/pdfs/4-11.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">