• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to split child financial support if we are joint custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usmdesigner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

My wife and I are trying to financially split evenly the financial support for our child, but she for sure doesn't want to pay healthcare (or pay me since I'm paying it)

Does anyone a list of things that parents have to split monthly? Maybe a link to a site or something?

I will be paying $200 a month for our child's healthcare, but I need to know that she will be paying her fair share as well. Off the top of my head, all I can come up with is dental ($30), prescription medication (situational to her getting sick only), and maybe school money for like snacks and meals?

We will have her 7 and 7, and she for sure says she is not going to half healthcare (paying me money) and her healthcare is very crappy. My healthcare covers anything our child could incur due to me working at a healthcare site, so I agree she should be under me. I just can't figure out what to put on paper (with the lawyer) what she will HAVE to pay monthly that will be close to 200.

Under each household, we each pay our own food, gas, living expensive etc.

Our child is almost 4 (november turns 4)

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

My wife and I are trying to financially split evenly the financial support for our child, but she for sure doesn't want to pay healthcare (or pay me since I'm paying it)

Does anyone a list of things that parents have to split monthly? Maybe a link to a site or something?

I will be paying $200 a month for our child's healthcare, but I need to know that she will be paying her fair share as well. Off the top of my head, all I can come up with is dental ($30), prescription medication (situational to her getting sick only), and maybe school money for like snacks and meals?

We will have her 7 and 7, and she for sure says she is not going to half healthcare (paying me money) and her healthcare is very crappy. My healthcare covers anything our child could incur due to me working at a healthcare site, so I agree she should be under me. I just can't figure out what to put on paper (with the lawyer) what she will HAVE to pay monthly that will be close to 200.

Under each household, we each pay our own food, gas, living expensive etc.

Our child is almost 4 (november turns 4)
Who has the higher wage?

CJane

Why would you assume, if your incomes vary at all, that everything should be split straight down the middle?

Mississippi uses a flat % of the non-custodial parent's income for child support purposes. Is one of you specified as the primary residential parent? Was one of you awarded the right to use their address for legal/school purposes?

Is the child in daycare of any type?

Does either parent qualify for state assistance of any type?

usmdesigner

Why would you assume, if your incomes vary at all, that everything should be split straight down the middle?

Mississippi uses a flat % of the non-custodial parent's income for child support purposes. Is one of you specified as the primary residential parent? Was one of you awarded the right to use their address for legal/school purposes?

Is the child in daycare of any type?

Does either parent qualify for state assistance of any type?
we both make the exact same amount of money each year. exact.

no daycare, mother in law keeps her for free.

no state assistance

I was posting this to get some ideas of payments that she would be taking on to makes things equal, guess there really are none more than what i posted :( Looks like everyone is trying to turn this into a real legal battle.. lol.

We have both agreed on what you have saw up top, its not a huge fight. I'm just just trying to figure out what kind of payments that I maybe missing. I just need these things on paper instead of one day saying "oh wait, you could pay for this to".

LdiJ

we both make the exact same amount of money each year. exact.

no daycare, mother in law keeps her for free.

no state assistance

I was posting this to get some ideas of payments that she would be taking on to makes things equal, guess there really are none more than what i posted :( Looks like everyone is trying to turn this into a real legal battle.. lol.

We have both agreed on what you have saw up top, its not a huge fight. I'm just just trying to figure out what kind of payments that I maybe missing. I just need these things on paper instead of one day saying "oh wait, you could pay for this to".
Is the 200.00 a month for health care purely the cost of your child's health insurance? It doesn't include you? Normally in a true split situation, if both parent's incomes are equal, then each parent is expected to provide everything the child needs on their time (food, clothing, school supplies and lunches, housing etc., etc.) so that when you exchange the child, you are just exchanging the child, no "stuff" except for something that might be really important to the child...a favorite blankie or toy for example.

Then, the cost of things that are unique to the child, and not separate per household, are then split. If health insurance is the only recurring expense, then maybe mom could be responsible for any out of pocket medical expenses until it equals the health insurance cost, and then you split them after that.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Looks like everyone is trying to turn this into a real legal battle.. lol.
NO. Everyone was asking questions to get a better idea of the situation. But since you seem to want to make a big deal of it? I'd suggest you consult with an attorney.

usmdesigner

Is the 200.00 a month for health care purely the cost of your child's health insurance? It doesn't include you? Normally in a true split situation, if both parent's incomes are equal, then each parent is expected to provide everything the child needs on their time (food, clothing, school supplies and lunches, housing etc., etc.) so that when you exchange the child, you are just exchanging the child, no "stuff" except for something that might be really important to the child...a favorite blankie or toy for example.

Then, the cost of things that are unique to the child, and not separate per household, are then split. If health insurance is the only recurring expense, then maybe mom could be responsible for any out of pocket medical expenses until it equals the health insurance cost, and then you split them after that.
Yeah, that will be just for her, the 200.

Yes, that's the hard part I'm trying to come up with, because she doesn't want to give me money for the health insurance. She basically thinks it will be giving me child support, but obviously it isn't. She doesn't like it, and doesn't want an alternative situation with it, because my healthcare is so good for our child.

All I was trying to do was come up with something to put on paper that she would be responsible for. I've had no luck beside what I named. And yes, I agree that daily expenses when she is with each of us, should be our own.

But could idea on the out of pocket medical, I could put that on paper as well. It would most likely be extremely rare, but at least it is something. I'll end up paying over 30k+ in the childs lifetime, while the mom will end up paying maybe 30 to 40%% of that. And I'm the one that is wanting the divorce... that's what makes this so hard. But in Mississippi, I know I would lose since I'm the man when it comes to primary care.

I just want my daughter mainly, the money is something I'm working with just to be able to see her for sure. :(

Silverplum

Yeah, that will be just for her, the 200.

Yes, that's the hard part I'm trying to come up with, because she doesn't want to give me money for the health insurance. She basically thinks it will be giving me child support, but obviously it isn't. She doesn't like it, and doesn't want an alternative situation with it, because my healthcare is so good for our child.

All I was trying to do was come up with something to put on paper that she would be responsible for. I've had no luck beside what I named. And yes, I agree that daily expenses when she is with each of us, should be our own.

But could idea on the out of pocket medical, I could put that on paper as well. It would most likely be extremely rare, but at least it is something. I'll end up paying over 30k+ in the childs lifetime, while the mom will end up paying maybe 30 to 40%% of that. And I'm the one that is wanting the divorce... that's what makes this so hard. But in Mississippi, I know I would lose since I'm the man when it comes to primary care.

I just want my daughter mainly, the money is something I'm working with just to be able to see her for sure. :(
Extracurricular expenses.

Your custody agreement ensures your parenting time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">