• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How would you handle this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigger22472

What is the name of your state? Indiana

This is more for opinions than anything.

Husband has 50/50 custody of his daughter. There is no child support ordered, although if he filed he would receive a significant amount (We're talking over 100$ a week even at 50/50). The court order has mom paying for insurance due to Dad not being able to get it. It also states that Dad and Mom split out of pocket medical 50/50. Mom's medical is very good so there really isn't a lot of out of pocket. I have asked a few times about what we owe as far as child's medication but mom never says.

A few weeks ago mom asked if we had gotten state medical for daughter and I stated no it wasn't allowed because mom carried insurance on her. She mentioned she had a bill from the dentist that she had to pay towards her deductable. I told her that I would give her a check for 50$ to cover his half of that plus some of the medicine. She stated that she didn't want it and it wasn't that big of a deal because technically we have the daughter WAY more than 50/50 due to her job. In essence mom does not have child anymore (and sometimes less) than a standard NCP.

I had already written out the check when she told me it didn't matter (this was all through text messaging). I asked my husband what he wanted to do because technically if he doesn't pay according to the order then he's in contempt. What I ended up doing was voiding the checking and wrote on the back why.

So, here's my question... Would you go ahead and pay the 50% unpaid medical because the order says to do so or would you let it go?

ceara19

tigger22472 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

This is more for opinions than anything.

Husband has 50/50 custody of his daughter. There is no child support ordered, although if he filed he would receive a significant amount (We're talking over 100$ a week even at 50/50). The court order has mom paying for insurance due to Dad not being able to get it. It also states that Dad and Mom split out of pocket medical 50/50. Mom's medical is very good so there really isn't a lot of out of pocket. I have asked a few times about what we owe as far as child's medication but mom never says.

A few weeks ago mom asked if we had gotten state medical for daughter and I stated no it wasn't allowed because mom carried insurance on her. She mentioned she had a bill from the dentist that she had to pay towards her deductable. I told her that I would give her a check for 50$ to cover his half of that plus some of the medicine. She stated that she didn't want it and it wasn't that big of a deal because technically we have the daughter WAY more than 50/50 due to her job. In essence mom does not have child anymore (and sometimes less) than a standard NCP.

I had already written out the check when she told me it didn't matter (this was all through text messaging). I asked my husband what he wanted to do because technically if he doesn't pay according to the order then he's in contempt. What I ended up doing was voiding the checking and wrote on the back why.

So, here's my question... Would you go ahead and pay the 50% unpaid medical because the order says to do so or would you let it go?
Personally, I would pay it. Technically, he probably doesn't HAVE to because she hasn't sent him an actual bill to be reimbursed for.

tigger22472

ceara19 said:
Personally, I would pay it. Technically, he probably doesn't HAVE to because she hasn't sent him an actual bill to be reimbursed for.

True, I never even thought about the whole thing of not informing him how much or sending a bill. We just generally know when she has an appointment or has gotten new glasses or whatever and I ask what his portion is and if she tells me I write a check. Generally that's because I was right there and saw the total, however we don't know all the charges. There's always the idea of compromising and coming to decisions on our own without going to court... but my thing is you just never know when things might change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">