• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to write a child support debt forgiveness letter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cyjeff

To the OP... if you MUST go through with this course of action, tell your ex that the moment the kids have the money in an account that HE doesn't control, you will discuss the issue.

I would even go so far as to immediately move the funds to a completely different account the moment the money arrives.

Not a moment before.

If he says he doesn't trust you to live up to your end of the financial deal, ask him how that feels.

I wouldn't even LOOK at anything his lawyer puts under your nose until that point. Literally, send them back marked "return to sender".

mistoffolees

To the OP... if you MUST go through with this course of action, tell your ex that the moment the kids have the money in an account that HE doesn't control, you will discuss the issue.

I would even go so far as to immediately move the funds to a completely different account the moment the money arrives.

Not a moment before.

If he says he doesn't trust you to live up to your end of the financial deal, ask him how that feels.

I wouldn't even LOOK at anything his lawyer puts under your nose until that point. Literally, send them back marked "return to sender".
I agree completely. There's absolutely no reason to waive the arrears. Furthermore, even if there were a good reason, they guy has proven that he can't be trusted to pay, so why give up a bird in the hand for the promise of half a bird in the bush?

If OP wants to save the money for the kids, she is certainly free to do so. Tell Dad that when he pays, she will be happy to set aside the money for the kids, but he needs to continue to pay his CS.

Or, if she doesn't want the money, have him continue to pay and she can always return the money to him as long as it isn't needed. But that leaves the order in place in case she DOES need the money later.

There's really no reason for letting a deadbeat off the hook.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">