• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband going to court tomorrow, and I'm worried sick!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindredspirit26

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My husband has been paying his child support faithfully to his son for 13 years, never late always on time.

My husband just lost his job and now his ex mother in law (my stepson's grandmother) is taking my husband to court because now he is behind on his support ($680.00)

My question is can he be arrested? I'm the only one working, what should I expect.

:(

Neal1421

Kindredspirit26 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My husband has been paying his child support faithfully to his son for 13 years, never late always on time.

My husband just lost his job and now his ex mother in law (my stepson's grandmother) is taking my husband to court because now he is behind on his support ($680.00)

My question is can he be arrested? I'm the only one working, what should I expect.

:(
Why is his ex mother in law taking him to court for support? Does she have custody of the child?

They are probably not going to arrest him for $680.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why is his ex-MIL taking him to court for the arrearage?

He really should have filed for a mod as soon as he was laid off, to be honest. But I doubt they'll haul him off to jail.

Kindredspirit26

The reason why the X-MIL has custody is because 9 years ago the X-WIFE gave her mother custody. They filed the paperwork, but they sent it to the wrong address. My husband was not aware of this change until he received a letter from child support stating the MIL as the custodial parent.

Also, the X-WIFE does not live with her mother, can she be obligated to pay child support too?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And in 9 years, Dad has doen nothing about that situation? Oy.

Sure, Mom should be paying support. If HER mother files for it. Which she doesn't have to. Nor is her not doing so a defense for Dad not paying.

Kindredspirit26

Stealth2 I am not making any excuses for my husband not paying child support. I believe the child should be taken care of no matter what. I also agree that not doing anything wasnt a smart idea. I have asked him to go to court to fix the situation but he was afraid. So as a stepmom with no rights I had no other choice but to sit and watch the train wreck happen.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I understand completely. Unfortunately, it's likely too late to do anything about it now - a court will be reluctant to remove a child from a home after so many years.

Kindredspirit26

Hey guys just letting you know what happened today. My husband went to court and and judge was extremely harsh with him. My husband is trying to get a job, but the judge says she is not going to lower the amount. She also stated that if he misses 2 payments that she is going to file a warrant for his arrest?

what should he:( do?

Kindredspirit26 said:
Hey guys just letting you know what happened today. My husband went to court and and judge was extremely harsh with him. My husband is trying to get a job, but the judge says she is not going to lower the amount. She also stated that if he misses 2 payments that she is going to file a warrant for his arrest?

what should he:( do?
Sounds like he needs to come up with the support money from somewhere. If you want to keep him out of jail, you might want to help him pay it.

Kindredspirit26

It is so unfair! How can a judge be so heartless? I know my husband want s to support his son, but come on! (just venting out lound) sorry:(

I can help him out so i have a question. If i send a check with my name and address to child support to pay the grandmother can the court use this information to freeze my checking account?

Kindredspirit26

I can help him out so i have a question. If i send a check with my name and address to child support to pay the grandmother can the court use this information to freeze my checking account?

***Please I really need a response***

any help is most appreciated.

Silverplum

Kindredspirit26 said:
It is so unfair! How can a judge be so heartless? I know my husband want s to support his son, but come on! (just venting out lound) sorry:(

I don't know for positive-sure. But it is always a good idea to keep your money away from his, if he is in arrears.

So why not go around it? Give the money to your husband to go pay his CS in person. Or get a money order. Or traveler's checks. Or whatever.

Kindredspirit26

thank you silverplum for your response. So I take it wouldnt be a good idea to send a check?

I know this is a long shot but IAAL if your around, I can use your wisdom.

Silverplum

Kindredspirit26 said:
thank you silverplum for your response. So I take it wouldnt be a good idea to send a check?

I know this is a long shot but IAAL if your around, I can use your wisdom.
Send a money order! :)

Try to PM IAAL. Or, as I have advised before, jump up & down, make some noise, see what you can dig up. [He's not a tame lawyer. ;) ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">