• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband's child support arrears and life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharonshibas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA - My husband owes his ex wife back child support. He is working and slowly catching up. His employer provides health and life insurance. I am the sole designated beneficiary on the life insurance policy. If GOD forbid he were to pass away still owing arrears, will the policy payment be taken to pay his obligation to his ex wife even though I am sole beneficiary?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA - My husband owes his ex wife back child support. He is working and slowly catching up. His employer provides health and life insurance. I am the sole designated beneficiary on the life insurance policy. If GOD forbid he were to pass away still owing arrears, will the policy payment be taken to pay his obligation to his ex wife even though I am sole beneficiary?
No.

Of course, he could make a provision ensuring his children are taken care of in the event of his untimely demise but you're not here to ask about that, are you?

LdiJ

It really wouldn't hurt for your husband to buy some term life insurance in an amount sufficient to cover the arrearages. He could then drop it after they are paid off. Surely he cannot owe her enough to make it really expensive insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">