• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am the non custodial parent but my son lives with me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Javier G.

I am the non custodial parent on paper ONLY because in reality my son whom im paying child support for, lives with me. He's been in my custody for the past 4 1/2 years but im still being told by the court that i have to pay child support because the mother has not contacted the OAG office and told them what's really going on. She is too busy doing drugs and could care less about her kids (she has three) that i know of. Anyways i did an agreement to pay her child support back in 2001, but shortly after that, she left my son with her parents for them to raise. In June of 2007 her parents knocked on my door and told me that they were tired of waiting on their daughter to come back and raise her kids, so they dropped off my son to me. Since then i've tried multiple times to let the OAG office know about this situation, but nothing has been done. I fell back on payments and now owe like thirty something thousand in arrears all because she would'nt pick up the phone and call them. She is hard to find and i recently lost my job & need to know what i can do because i cannot afford a lawyer to help me. Please advise :(

Proserpina

I am the non custodial parent on paper ONLY because in reality my son whom im paying child support for, lives with me. He's been in my custody for the past 4 1/2 years but im still being told by the court that i have to pay child support because the mother has not contacted the OAG office and told them what's really going on. She is too busy doing drugs and could care less about her kids (she has three) that i know of. Anyways i did an agreement to pay her child support back in 2001, but shortly after that, she left my son with her parents for them to raise. In June of 2007 her parents knocked on my door and told me that they were tired of waiting on their daughter to come back and raise her kids, so they dropped off my son to me. Since then i've tried multiple times to let the OAG office know about this situation, but nothing has been done. I fell back on payments and now owe like thirty something thousand in arrears all because she would'nt pick up the phone and call them. She is hard to find and i recently lost my job & need to know what i can do because i cannot afford a lawyer to help me. Please advise :(

File in court to modify custody and child support based upon kiddo living with you.

You could have filed 4+ years ago.

mistoffolees

File in court to modify custody and child support based upon kiddo living with you.

You could have filed 4+ years ago.
Yep. Make sure you have evidence that the child has been living with you. School records, medical records, witnesses, etc (not affidavits).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">