• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I dont know the answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harmon53

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I have a few questions.

1. I want to get the baby tested before i sign the birth certificate. Can i ask the doctor to administer the test or do i have to do this seperately?

2. Also, if i do sign the birth certificate, and the test comes back that it is not mine, is it to late?

3. Once she files for child support, can they go back on you from before she has filed? Is back child support from the day the baby was born or is it from the day that she files for it?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

harmon53 said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa

I have a few questions.

1. I want to get the baby tested before i sign the birth certificate. Can i ask the doctor to administer the test or do i have to do this seperately?

2. Also, if i do sign the birth certificate, and the test comes back that it is not mine, is it to late?

3. Once she files for child support, can they go back on you from before she has filed? Is back child support from the day the baby was born or is it from the day that she files for it?

My response:

If you're in doubt, you can pay to have a DNA test performed by the doctor's lab BEFORE you sign anything. If the child isn't yours, then walk away. If the child is yours, then it doesn't matter if you sign the BC because when she files for support, the court will make you take another DNA test (the one you previously paid for will not suffice for a court order) and once those results come back, you'll be paying child support starting from day one.

IAAL

Duckless

Ask the doc to do the test. If he is unable he will tell you what you need to do to get it done.

Don't sign anything until the test is done.

Child support starts from the date it is filed not from child birth.

Phnx02

You can wait for her to file for Child support and then the courts will order a DNA test. If you sign the birth certificate before a DNA test, and it's later determined the child is not yours, you may still have to pay CS because by signing the BC, you accepted parentage.

stepmom65

Don't sign the birth certificate!!!....Everyone is correct. A friend of mine had doubts, signed the certificate and when his wife divorced him, told him he wasn't the father of the 7-year old. She's 16 now and he's been paying child support because of the reasons everyone have explained to you. Basically, you sign, you pay!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">