• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got pregnant with my current boyfriend, but he is still legally married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jdean0930

California

I was in a current relationship with my boyfriend, had a child with him. Then found out that he is still legally married to his wife but they have been separated for a while. I plan on filing child support against him, hence we're no longer together...would his wife be affected by it financially?

LdiJ

California

I was in a current relationship with my boyfriend, had a child with him. Then found out that he is still legally married to his wife but they have been separated for a while. I plan on filing child support against him, hence we're no longer together...would his wife be affected by it financially?
I hope that you would not want his wife to be financially responsible for your child, because that would be really tacky.

However, no, she would not be held responsible at all.

Jdean0930

Not trying to go after wife

Clarification: my ex-boyfriend and I are in agreement with filing the child support and on good terms with all parties. We don't want to damage her in the process if they're still legally married but has been separated for years, and yes they have children together. No child support for them. Just filing child support for the child I have with him.

Silverplum

Clarification: my ex-boyfriend and I are in agreement with filing the child support and on good terms with all parties. We don't want to damage her in the process if they're still legally married but has been separated for years, and yes they have children together. No child support for them. Just filing child support for the child I have with him.
Then, yes, your filing can hurt her. The shared children make a difference, as does the fact that they are not divorcing.

Most unpleasant. Poor children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">